Can't take this crap–worse an attack on fluffernutters!

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:40 am
Linkat wrote:
Is fluff really that much different than say adding mayo to a turkey and cheese sandwich?

Yes.

I don't care personally about the fluff, but the science on the HFCS looks pretty dang ugly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:50 am
sfgate 2004

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/79/4/537

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/1/31

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/491630?src=search

health + politics = tangled web
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:45 pm
Well that's odd, because I loved fluff as a kid and was skinney as a rail - have never been even overweight. Currently after having two children later in life, I still am not overweight.

My daughter also eats fluff and she is thin as can be. Never hurt us any - never had issues with being overweight (if anything underweight). Anything in moderation is not going to hurt you. A little fluff once a week is not going to cause some one to be overweight.

Mayo has tons more fat (no fat in fluff). Ketchup has tons more sugar. There may be issues with corn syrup, but there is also issues with having too much sugar, fat, and calories. Hell, even if you drink too much water you can kill yourself.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Is fluff really that much different than say adding mayo to a turkey and cheese sandwich?

Yes.

I don't care personally about the fluff, but the science on the HFCS looks pretty dang ugly.

Thanks for that, Beth...I wanted to pipe up, but couldn't quite bring myself to, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

And Linkat, you can be skinny and still be unhealthy (much like myself, actually <grin>). Overweight is not the only issue.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:01 pm
And as a matter of fact some mayonnaise also includes corn syrup. According to Hellman's this is the ingredient list:
INGREDIENTS: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED CORN STARCH**, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP**, VINEGAR, EGG WHITES, SALT, CELLULOSE GEL** AND GUM**, COLORS ADDED, NATURAL FLAVORS, XANTHAN GUM**, (SODIUM BENZOATE**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, LACTIC ACID**, CITRIC ACID**, PHOSPHORIC ACID**, SPICE**, PAPRIKA OLEORESIN, TURMERIC.

I guess ketchup is just as bad then. A quote from one of your sources…" Even ketchup is laced with it."
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:03 pm
Everything has corn syrup now! It's kind of bizarre, the things it's in.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:05 pm
For a good idea of how much HFCS is out there, check out this list
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:11 pm
Well, Linkat a very interesting thread, because I think proclivities toward weight as well as how we process certain types of food is part genetics and part control. More dangerous than the food, is the creation of laws to make choices for us.

I know I keep saying the same old thing, but:

First the seat belts. (Insurance companies)
Next the smoking. (same thing)
Now food control. (pure and simple politics)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:17 pm
I noticed most of these foods are processed foods. I tend not to eat much of them. Not that I never - but tend to eat them in moderation. Basically I found that moderation is best - you can't cut out all the crap - not unless you strictly live off what you grow, but if you take most things in moderation you can live reasonably healthy.

And yes, I have been blessed with being thin, but I am not thin and unhealthy - I rarely get ill and my doctor has given me over the years a clean bill of health. So I am a healthy weight and have overall good health even while eating fluff! You can do it!

I have to admit I do eat good foods overall. But see nothing wrong with junk food in moderation. I think a fluffernutter can be healthy if you combine it with a fruit and glass of milk. And you do not pile on the fluff - just add enough for that yummy sweetness.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 08:47 pm
Mass. lawmaker drops marshmallow fluff fight
Plan to ban spread in school backfires, invokes impassioned defense

BOSTON - A Massachusetts lawmaker is trying to get himself out of a sticky situation by dropping his opposition to Marshmallow Fluff.

An amendment proposed by Sen. Jarrett Barrios to limit the availability of Fluff in schools sparked impassioned defense of the marshmallow spread, a lunch box staple of children for generations.

The proposal was panned on talk radio, and another lawmaker even suggested legislation to make the Fluffernutter _ a Fluff and peanut butter sandwich _ the official state sandwich.
(continued here...)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 09:42 am
Nice to see that once Mass government made a smart decision and realized it was a waste of their time.

Coincidently I made peanut and fluff for my daughters' lunches today. They both wanted it! I did include strawberries with their lunch and yogurt so all you "lunch nutrition police" out there will know they all their food groups represented.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 09:46 am
Bread, dairy, fruit, and sugar. Good job!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:00 am
In regard to corn syrup...

My niece has a corn allergy. It makes her hyperactive. Corn syrup is the worst, as it contains tons of the stuff she's allergic to.

Her mom carries around natural ketchup, and even sea salt for when they go out to eat (table salt apparently uses corn starch as an anti-caking agent). She can't drink sodas, because they all use corn syrup as sweetener now.

Ech.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
You forgot the peanut butter - protein - meat group.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:07 pm
DrewDad wrote:
In regard to corn syrup...

My niece has a corn allergy. ... She can't drink sodas, because they all use corn syrup as sweetener now.

Ech.

What about the Hansen's all natural soda? Does it use corn syrup too?

I see that 7up recently went "all natural" but they still use corn syrup.

There's no corn in Miller Lite. Tell everyone it's apple juice...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:29 pm
linkat quote:

Quote:
Can't the Senator spend his time in a better way?

Looks like he did already. Didn't he marry another man?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:26 pm
Help! Miller is mad at me because I said that polka music is crap - so it looks like he is attacking me where ever I am.
0 Replies