Discuss a question.thank you !

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 06:09 am
I am looking for an exrepianation of why we don't get tough with criminals.why the more crime and less punishment.what do you think of this question?can you share me with you own idea?thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 925 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 08:46 am
Why do you think there is less punishment for more crime?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:19 pm
These kinds of generalized statements don't really say anything. What you really need are statistics, real information about what's really going on. And, you also have to look deeper.

In the 1970s, New York state got tough on criminals (the Rockefeller drug laws). As a result, 30 years later, the prisons are overcrowded. Do you want to build more prisons or change the law? And, perhaps, changing the law isn't so bad. Why overly punish people who aren't dangerous? Doesn't it make more sense to try to rehabilitate them if that's at all possible? After all, it's cheaper and often more effective.

Texas has put more people to death since the death penalty was again found constitutional (again, this was in the 1970s) than any other state, yet there is still crime there. And death row is costly -- there are a lot more appeals than if a person is just sentenced to life in prison without parole. Which is better, paying more in order to let 'em fry, or paying less and perhaps giving people a chance to improve themselves. Even lifers can do some good for society, such as teach other prisoners to read. I am not saying that the death penalty is never justified, but it's not the cure-all that some think it is.

What do you think? And not just a quick sentence or two -- what do you really think, whitesnow10?
0 Replies

whitesnow10

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:20 pm
thanks!
Jespah:
First ,thank you answer my question ! it is hard to say what I thought .I just very worry about the criminal of this world.there are so many criminals .you know!!!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:47 am
Well, yes, and there have always been and probably always will be. Someone will look to make a quick buck and not care about the consequences, or will lose all impulse control and hurt or even kill someone.

Empathy is one of the most important things that a person can develop. That is, understanding that other people have feelings, thoughts and needs and that you're not the only one who does. But some people never develop empathy; they may be mentally ill or have genetic problems or lower than average intelligence. How does that get combatted? This is the way some people were born or how they became, due to disease processes. Does putting them behind bars do anything for them?

I am not saying that punishment is wrong or bad. There is a lot to be said for warehousing people who are bad and keeping them away from you and me. But what about preventing some of it in the first place? I don't really know how -- there's a lot about people that we don't understand yet, of course -- but surely some money and resources and research will be well spent by trying to prevent crimes, in addition to trying to deal with criminals after crimes are committed. Prevention is often cheaper and can (not always, but at times) be more effective.

Another thing is social stratification. Why do people steal? Well, they need things and money. How about making sure that people make enough money so that they can buy the things they need, rather than just take them? Or perhaps foster a culture where people don't feel they always need the latest expensive gadget. There's a lot more to preventing and dealing with crime than simply building more prisons or sending people to their executions.
0 Replies