• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 659 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:09 pm
You'd rather eat dirt?

I am for improving my game. I've been at it for all my life in the form of playing instruments, and I find that when you get to a certain point, specialized understanding becomes more generally applicable.
That is why I would encourage improvement, regardless of in what field, becase I believe that all things follow the same principles. Through immersing ourselves in the intricate detail of one small activity we can learn truths concerning the whole, and thereby attain greater understanding.

So to my ears, what you're lamenting is the fact that so many do not even bother to identify their talents, let alone perfect them. But can schools be blamed for this?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:31 pm
Cyracuz

The schools have not taught children to be Critical Thinkers. That is, not until lately. They have recently begun this effort. CT is a special kind of subject. It requires an active pupil rather than the normal passive sit and absorb pupil. One of the things learned is the human tendency to irrational action. We humans allow our ego to deprive us often of good rational judgment.

If a child does not learn CT while young we have a problem. The adult's ego will not allow the adult to study CT because the ego will not allow its brain to accept the possibility that it is an uncritical thinker. When you try to speak with an adult about critical thinking you will discover that all adults are critical thinkers.

Most adults would rather eat dirt than recognize that they are not a Critical Thinker.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:44 pm
The contradiction you make in your post is so obvious that I will credit it to a mis-spelling or a missing word rather than your intention.

I understand what you mean about how pride can be a great hinder of achievment. But can you truly say that someone is not a critical thinker just because you don't recognize them as such?

Agreed, the teaching methods of today are much more diverse than the old ones.

Still, long before the concept of CT became a factor, critical thinking has been applied with success throughout history. I do not truly believe that it is the manner of teaching that decides. It is the manner of learning, and the neccessety of it.

So I see blame elswhere. In the legislations and arrangements that relieved us of the need to resolve many different issues of varying complexity.

After all, why would I leave the house if I've got nowhere to go?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:10 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
The contradiction you make in your post is so obvious that I will credit it to a mis-spelling or a missing word rather than your intention.

I understand what you mean about how pride can be a great hinder of achievment. But can you truly say that someone is not a critical thinker just because you don't recognize them as such?

Agreed, the teaching methods of today are much more diverse than the old ones.

Still, long before the concept of CT became a factor, critical thinking has been applied with success throughout history. I do not truly believe that it is the manner of teaching that decides. It is the manner of learning, and the neccessety of it.

So I see blame elswhere. In the legislations and arrangements that relieved us of the need to resolve many different issues of varying complexity.

After all, why would I leave the house if I've got nowhere to go?

You are correct. Before we can agree if someone is or is not a critical thinker we must agree on some definitions. I will repeat another post I have made that carries my definition. I wonder if you find those definitions acceptable.

From these war wounds I have learned that everyone is a critical thinker, therefore we must delineate the types of critical thinking if we are to discuss the matter.

I use the following classification of critical thinkers:

Critical self-consciousness is what our schools and colleges have added to the mix. The critical self-conscious aspect of CT is taught in the lower grades because the closer one comes to adulthood the greater the influence of the ego and no adult ego will allow its brain to be called uncritical.

CT Strategies for K-12 (Kindergarten thru high school)

A. Affective Strategies

S-1 thinking independently
S-2 developing insight into egocentricity or sociocentricity
S-3 exercising fairmindedness
S-4 exploring thoughts underlying feelings and feelings underlying thoughts
S-5 developing intellectual humility and suspending judgment
S-6 developing intellectual courage
S-7 developing intellectual good faith or integrity
S-8 developing intellectual perseverance
S-9 developing confidence in reason
B. Cognitive Strategies - Macro-Abilities

S-10 refining generalizations and avoiding oversimplifications
S-11 comparing analogous situations: transferring insights to new contexts
S-12 developing one's perspective: creating or exploring beliefs, arguments, or theories
S-13 clarifying issues, conclusions, or beliefs
S-14 clarifying and analyzing the meanings of words or phrases
S-15 developing criteria for evaluation: clarifying values and standards
S-16 evaluating the credibility of sources of information
S-17 questioning deeply: raising and pursuing root or significant questions
S-18 analyzing or evaluating arguments, interpretations, beliefs, or theories
S-19 generating or assessing solutions
S-20 analyzing or evaluating actions or policies
S-21 reading critically: clarifying or critiquing texts
S-22 listening critically: the art of silent dialogue
S-23 making interdisciplinary connections
S-24 practicing Socratic discussion: clarifying and questioning beliefs, theories, or perspectives
S-25 reasoning dialogically: comparing perspectives, interpretations, or theories
S-26 reasoning dialectically: evaluating perspectives, interpretations, or theories
C. Cognitive Strategies - Micro-Skills

S-27 comparing and contrasting ideals with actual practice
S-28 thinking precisely about thinking: using critical vocabulary
S-29 noting significant similarities and differences
S-30 examining or evaluating assumptions
S-31 distinguishing relevant from irrelevant facts
S-32 making plausible inferences, predictions, or interpretations
S-33 giving reasons and evaluating evidence and alleged facts
S-34 recognizing contradictions
S-35 exploring implications and consequences

This list is found in the following handbooks: Critical Thinking Handbook: k-3, Critical Thinking Handbook: 4-6, Critical Thinking Handbook: 6-9, Critical Thinking Handbook: High School.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:35 pm
I cannot say I understand your definitions.

Seems to me the object of critical thinking would be to identify all the true components in any given problem, and then proceed to solve the problem in the most beneficial way. A sort of mental kung fu, where the object is to attain total control of the forces under you command. Smile

But I may have missed the point entirely..
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 01:54 am
Cyracuz

The point is that I have discovered in the last three years that everyone is a critical thinker. No adult ego will accept that its brain is an uncritical thinker. So starting with the observation that everyone is a critical thinker we must define various types of critical thinkers.

I suspect that the Regan admonition "trust but verify" might appropriately be type one. Then we move on to type two is type one plus Logic 101. Logic 101 is my way of defining the fundamental elements of rational thinking as defined by the first course in college. Then type three is CT. That is Logic 101 plus recognition of the importance of a critical self-consciousness as a means to become a good critical thinker.

I guess that 95% of the population are type one. Thus 5% of the population make up two and three. I guess that 5% of these are type three.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:13 am
Frankly I don't believe that it is important to everyone to be a critical thinker.

There are those of us who would rather escape their thoughts entirely than to acknowledge them. I cannot say I understand it, but there it is. Are they critical thinkers?

But how can you really tell, if everyone is a critical thinker, on wich of the three level they operate? If it is as you say, then everything will make sense to me on my level, according to the skill with wich I process information. To myself, I would be the greatest critical thinker. A lever 3 for sure, to my own mind, while most other people I run into would be of the lower levels.

In a sense, thought is like life, and I don't think we can determine degree of life. Who is more alive? Hard to answer.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:27 am
Coberst: Please don't lay yet another failure at the feet of educators. I can assure you we do our very best to encourage critical reading and thinking as both are heavily tested on state proficiency exams. Until parents become parents you will continue to see the product you lament. They need to instill a value for all forms of education and actually model those practices for their children. Until then, the operating instructions for Johnny's Ipod will be the extent of his required reading, if that.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 07:45 am
WhoodaThunk wrote:
Coberst: Please don't lay yet another failure at the feet of educators. I can assure you we do our very best to encourage critical reading and thinking as both are heavily tested on state proficiency exams. Until parents become parents you will continue to see the product you lament. They need to instill a value for all forms of education and actually model those practices for their children. Until then, the operating instructions for Johnny's Ipod will be the extent of his required reading, if that.

I am in total sympathy with the problems that teachers must deal with. I am not a teacher but I support them completely. I think part of the problem rests with the fact that our citizens are not capable of Critical Thinking. I guess that our teachers are attempting to teach our children all the things that they need.

The reason our citizens are not able to understand the problem can be cured somewhat if our citizens recognize that learning how to think is important. I am trying to help all citizens to recognize this matter and to do something about it. I would like to convince all citizens to learn how to think and that is what I am attempting to do, one post at a time.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 08:05 am
An honorable goal & I wish you well.
0 Replies