Share your experience with osteoporosis

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 01:03 pm
Supposedly in Cultures of Poverty where people sleep on the floor--or the ground--have fewer cases of back pain than more affluent countries do.

Of course, this could be explained by all that healthy exercise that poverty inflicts.
0 Replies

Linarski

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:58 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Supposedly in Cultures of Poverty where people sleep on the floor--or the ground--have fewer cases of back pain than more affluent countries do.

Of course, this could be explained by all that healthy exercise that poverty inflicts.

...and what has this to do with osteoporosis..?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 11:28 am
Linarski--

Welcome to A2K.

Weight-bearing exercise prevents osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a disease of the sedentary affluent.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 01:32 am
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 07:09 am
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/105/107679.htm

Rae- Check these out, and see if any of it sounds familiar!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 03:14 pm
Rae--

Revolting developments!

Aren't physical therapists pleasant people? Every single one of them chose that field because they liked people and disliked people being in pain.

The twitchy leg business can be exhausting--for the patient, for the spouse and for any house pets who believe in nocturnal togetherness. I hope this is just an inconvenient stage in your healing and not a lasting memento.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:37 pm
Thank you, Phoenix. I am familiar with restless leg syndrome ~ my now deceased ex-mother-in-law suffered from it terribly. We, indeed, have the same symptoms.

But, I think my symptoms are different because they appear to only happen when my muscles are stressed ~ and I can only chalk that up to my muscles compensating for the back injury. And inactivity.

The difference between activity and inactivity for me right now are worlds apart. Just washing dishes is enough to land me flat for a few hours. Yet, when I'm feeling fine, I do a lot more and that seems to have the opposite effect ~ I cannot relax afterwards.

I will bring this up to Dr. Helmy when I see him on Thursday.

Thank you, Noddy. Yes, I agree with your assessment of physical therapists. At least mine, anyway. She didn't have a care in the world except my pain and inability to do certain things. Very attentive and worried.

Funny you should mention 'togetherness' with spouses and house pets! Stanley (still being a kitten) thinks it's extremely hilarious when my legs are unstable. It sounds like a freight train with him running up and down the bedspread to 'catch' my feet.

Anyway, I already take the same medication used to treat RLS. Only I use it for panic attacks. I will mention this to my mental health pyschician and see what he has to say.

Holding my dominion, ma'am. Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 04:35 am
Rae--

Your kitten is obviously of the "Ah, lemons! What fun! Lemonade! " School of bed-sharing. Congratulations on having an adaptable cat.

I'm glad you're seeing a bit of improvement in your condition. Believe me, I know that having pain as a constant dimension for every activity is exhausting and destructive of good-cheer.

Have you had new x-rays? Do they show healing?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies