I loved him when I was small.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 901 • Replies: 18
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:36 am
I'm the same, in spite of the fact that I loved the movies when I was a kid. For me, it's that, when I was younger, he looked so majestic, so powerful, flying around as casual as could be, stopping bullets without trying. Now, for whatever reason, he just looks like a guy that forgot which goes on first, the pants or the underwear, but insists on holding it up with a monogrammed belt and finishing it up with a pair of go-go boots.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:28 pm
You've both become more discriminating in choosing heroes--and more skeptical about the power of all grownups.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:35 pm
It is rather disillusioning when you become a grownup and find out that it's not all you thought it was.
As for discriminating in choosing heros . . . I suppose so. I haven't read any comics other than Iron Man in many years, and it's been probably a good 2 or so years since I last picked up an issue of of the old Shell Head. But I did, and still do, find myself gravitating toward the more, shall we say, believable end of the superhero spectrum. Those that don't have mutant powers or gifts beyond those of mortal men and women. Iron Man and Batman have been my favorites for a while. Sure, Iron Man is a bit on the side of unreality with all that suit of his can do, but it's more grounded in reality, in my book, than guys shooting lasers out of their eyes and flying unaided. And Batman, as we all know, is just a guy who trained to his peak. No powers there.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:45 pm
i've always been a big superman, batman, green lantern, green arrow, dr. fate, justice league, etc. fan, much more a dc guy than marvel

my only marvel loves were spiderman and the x men, funny then that tin sword art would mention iron man, not only is he my avatar of choice this month, but he's set to play a pivotal role in marvel comics new multi issue story line "civil war", this looks to be the series that might make me a full fledged marvel fan
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:47 pm
I'm still waiting to hear the final fate of the Iron Man movie. I don't care how old I am when it comes out, I'm going to be at the front of the ticket line.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:09 pm
dj, I would have taken you for a Marvel fan, with your avatar choice, your location being given where it is, and your signature line being what it is. Never been a big fan of DC myself, other than Bats, of course. Make Mine Marvel. I like the mutants just fine, but I prefer the Golden Avenger.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:40 am
I hope they have a good script -- it's not the popularity of the superhero, it's a good story that counts.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:44 am
I agree completely. It certainly looks interesting enough. Here's a plot summary I found for it:
"After the battle with General Zod and his gang of Kryptonian super-villains, Superman (Brandan Routh) mysteriously disappears for six years. After searching for more possible survivors from Krypton and finding none, Superman returns to Metropolis to re-assume the identity of Clark Kent. Once he returns, he discovers that Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth) is in a relationship and also has a son. Superman also discovers that Metropolis has learned to live without him, causing him to lose his motivation to fight and protect. To make matters worse, Superman's old nemesis Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) has devised a plan to defeat the Man of Steel, for good. Superman must put his troubles behind him in order to protect his lost love, and the city who lost faith in him."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:54 am
Like a any film or a book, for that matter, if there's a good tale to tell and it's done with panache, I can get roped in. Ah, dang, sorry to reference "Brokeback Mountain" again. A weakness.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:56 am
Whenever see Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor I just think of him as Dr Evil from Austin Powers!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:12 am
material girl wrote:
Whenever see Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor I just think of him as Dr Evil from Austin Powers!

Laughing And a great Dr. Evil he was. And let's not forget Danny DeVito's performance as Mini-Me.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:24 am
And Tom Cruise as Austin, I loved the intro to that film!!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:28 am
And Gwyneth Paltrow as Dixie Normous. More movies need intros like that.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:32 am
Ha!Love that name.I dont picture Gwyn as a comedy actress but she did well in that brief part.

Loved the dance intro to AP1, so uplifting.
Strange to think its nearly 10 years old.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:37 am
I was always a big fan of the dance scene with Austin and the Femmebots (or however you spell that) set to the tune of "I Touch Myself". I couldn't breath I was laughing so hard at that.

None of which has anything to do with Superman, of course, but was fun, none the less.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:25 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
dj, I would have taken you for a Marvel fan, with your avatar choice, your location being given where it is, and your signature line being what it is.

i'm really excited about marvels new multi character series, civil war, hence the new avatar and such (i change every month and always follow some theme or other)
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:33 am
Aaah. I see. I've been out of touch with everything Marvel for so long, I have no idea what the Civil War arc is about. I'll have to Google that and see what comes up. Maybe I'll have to try and get my hands on it.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 06:19 am
Looking forward to this as well. I've been watching a show called 'Smallville' for a few years now and I have to say, the guy who plays a young Lex Luthor in it is as good a Lex Luthor as I've seen, he really nails the character as I see it. Even though I'm a fan of Kevin Spacey that'll take some getting used to. A lot of people seem to have a problem with Superman compared with other superheroes because of his supposed lack of human frailties, personally, it's this and the problems that lie there in that attract me to the stories.
0 Replies