Is there a reason for everything we do?

aperson

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:05 am
Is there a reason or cause for everything we do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,170 • Replies: 11
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:37 am
cause, probably. for instance, nerve impulses from the brain cause contractions in muscles that move fingers causing this sentence to be typed on my keyboard. on the other hand, reason suggests something conscious, and i'm not sure i can claim that i consciously control the motions my fingers make while typing, for example.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:38 am
Do you mean why do we work?Or why do we breath?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:42 am
a little postscript to what i wrote: if i wasn't a touch typist, i *might* be consciously controlling my finger as i type one letter at a time. Laughing
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 01:48 am
Well, for example, what causes school children to bully (or harass or whatever you want to call it) others?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 01:55 am
aperson wrote:
Well, for example, what causes school children to bully (or harass or whatever you want to call it) others?
That would depend on the individual. With some people it is a matter of learned behavior (what has been seen and inflicted upon them at home) and with others it seems to be a natural trait with them from birth. With some it is a calling out for attention...good attention, bad attention it does not matter, the person just wants/needs to be acknowledged. At times it is peer pressure, wherein an individual teases or physically assaults another child in order to be accepted into a supposedly cool group. As indicated each person is different.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:03 am
Sturgis wrote:
aperson wrote:
That would depend on the individual. With some people it is a matter of learned behavior (what has been seen and inflicted upon them at home) and with others it seems to be a natural trait with them from birth. With some it is a calling out for attention...good attention, bad attention it does not matter, the person just wants/needs to be acknowledged. At times it is peer pressure, wherein an individual teases or physically assaults another child in order to be accepted into a supposedly cool group. As indicated each person is different.

where do the facts in this analysis come from?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:48 am
snood wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
aperson wrote:

where do the facts in this analysis come from?

Life experience. Over time I have seen enough young people who were seemingly incorrigible from the start even with a fine home life and I have also observed those who have turned bad as the encouragement from those around them as prodded them forth onto a path of bullying and troublemaking. Everybody is who they are and each person dances upon the floor created by others. An individual's footwork has to start somewhere and with some it is a matter of following the footprints left by predecessors (developing into a troublemaker) whereas with others it is creating new steps all on ones own (as in troublemaking from the start).
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:32 am
How about 'Everythin' ahhhhh do, ahhh doo it foooor yooou'
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:55 am
Sturgis wrote:
aperson wrote:
That would depend on the individual. With some people it is a matter of learned behavior (what has been seen and inflicted upon them at home) and with others it seems to be a natural trait with them from birth.

that's the nature vs. nurture controversy, and i agree with your line of thinking. when it comes to human behavior, it's usually a combination of the two, rather than exclusively environment or heredity. sometimes, it's claimed that one factor is predominant; for instance, there's the controversial claim that IQ is 80% hereditary. whatever the merits of such generalizations, it's troubling that there's no room for free will, if your behavior is *caused* either by the environment or by your genes. i believe human beings have free will, but there's no proof of free will that i'm aware of.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:00 am
Re: Is there a reason for everything we do?
aperson wrote:

What you're after is what philosophers call the Principle of Sufficient Reason.
0 Replies

pangheping

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:51 pm
Re: Is there a reason for everything we do?
aperson wrote:

Yes,of cause.
If not,name one thing that you did without reason or cause.
0 Replies