What do you think ?

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:14 am
However mean your life is,meet it and live it ;do not shun it and call it hard names.It is not so bad as you are.It looks poorest when you are richest.The fault-finder will find faults in paradise.Love your life,poor as it is.You may perhaps have some pleasant,thrilling,glorious hourss,even in a poor-house.The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the alms-house as brightly as from the rich man's abode;the snow melts before its door as early in the spring.I do not see but a quiet mind may live as contentedly there,and have as cheering thoughts,as in a palace.The town's poor seem to me often to live the most independent lives of any.May be they are simply great enough to receive without misgiving.Most think that they are above being supported by the town;but it often happens that they are not above supporting themselves by dishonest means.which should be more disreputable.Cultivate poverty like a garden herb,like sage.Do not trouble yourself much to get new things,whether clothes or friends,Turn the old,return to them.Things do not change;we change.Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,269 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:41 am
I assume that you are a student of English, and not a native speaker. Based on that assumption, i'd say that you did quite well. I particularly liked your last sentence: Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.--that was expressed well.

If you don't mind (i hope you won't), i'll "edit" your paragraph for you.

However bad (the use of the word "mean" is correct, but is not likely to be understood by contemporary speakers of the American language, and might not immediately suggest itself to the English) your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it names. (Using the expression "hard names" is technically correct, but it has an awkward sound to the ear of a native-speaker. For speakers of the American language at least, the expression "call it names" means the same thing without needing to add the word "hard.") Life is not so bad if you live it as you are. Life seems poorest when you are rich. The fault-finder will find fault with paradise. Love your life, even if you are poor. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious times, even in a poor-house. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the alms-house as brightly as from the rich man's abode; (That is an excellent turn of phrase--i congratulate you on the poetic quality of your use of English.) the snow melts before the door as just early in the spring. I do not see but a quiet mind may live as contentedly there, and have as cheering thoughts, as in a palace. The town's poor seem to me often to live the most independent lives of anyone in the town. Maybe they are simply great enough to receive without misgiving. Many may think that they consider themselves above being supported by the town; but it often happens that they are not above supporting themselves by dishonest means, which would be more disreputable. Cultivate poverty like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends, keep the old, return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.

Altogether, that was an excellent effort. You did a very good job, and expressed yourself not simply coherently, but with a good deal of style--i think you display an excellent understanding of self-expression in the English language. On a technical note, please remember to leave a space after punctuation marks, such as commas, periods, colons and semi-colons.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:01 am
Setanta wrote:
The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the alms-house as brightly as from the rich man's abode; (That is an excellent turn of phrase--i congratulate you on the poetic quality of your use of English.)

I'm with you there Set. The poetic quality certainly exceeds the ability of this native English speaker!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:33 am
Miss Emily, i would like to say once again that you have acheived a remarkable degree of competent expression in English. Your paragraph is very beautiful. I made a silly error when i edited it, and i want to show how the paragraph would appear if i edited it, changing it as little as possible, and didn't make the silly mistake i made before:

However bad your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it names. Life is not so bad if you live it as you are. Life seems poorest when you are rich. The fault-finder will find fault with paradise. Love your life, even if you are poor. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious times, even in a poor-house. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the alms-house as brightly as from the rich man's abode; the snow melts before the door just as early in the spring. I do not see but a quiet mind may live as contentedly there, and have as cheering thoughts, as in a palace. The town's poor seem to me often to live the most independent lives of anyone in the town. Maybe they are simply great enough to receive without misgiving. Many may think that they consider themselves above being supported by the town; but it often happens that they are not above supporting themselves by dishonest means, which would be more disreputable. Cultivate poverty like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends, keep the old, return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.

Once again, that is beautifully expressed. You should be proud--your work is an extraordinary acheivement.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:41 pm
What do you think ?
Emily - not evryone who is a native speaker of English could express himself or herself as clearly and movingly as you do. Congratulations!
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 10:13 am
Setanta?

I must say that your editing of the original writing is very good.....with one exception. The "mean life" should stay as it is written as well as "hard names" because it removes the cliche sound by adding an intense emotion that hits home with some. Everyone has a bad life, hardships, and lousy childhood, but a "mean life" does tend to make a person call life by "hard" names such as: abuse, pain, injustice, emptiness, fear....these are much more than mere "bad" lives which can be poverty, sorrow, death, bad breaks, failure, etc. I like the original writing with the impact of a much deeper emotion than merely, "bad."

This is a great piece of work....I have read and re-read it many times. I just hope I do not internalize it too much (wink at Edgar and Joe)

me agapi kai filia
0 Replies