Truths about the church revealed by The DaVinci Code???

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:54 am
Whether one allows for the chance that there may be among us descendents of Christ or not, I'd like to know why the Christian Church is so offended by such a theory. Wouldn't such great-great-etc grandchildren of God be just the sort of loving and insightful and compassionate individuals this world obviously needs right now? And wouldn't such a logical, grounded, biological "Second Coming" make it easier for even Darwinians and the most logic and scientifically based thinkers to accept and come to know God?

What is it about this concept that threatens the church so? Could it be that such people among us would carry more influence and command more respect than a manmade institution and this is why the possibility of their existence can't be tolerated?

Thoughts anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,103 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:56 am
My thought is that you little understand religious orthodoxy. People subscribe to a religious creed for the apparent (if not necessarily real) certainty which it offers. It is antithetical to the concept of divinely revealed truth to accept anything which contradicts the official scriptural canon.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:58 am
Man I wouldn't want to find out I was descended from Jesus... talk about pressure.... it's hard enough just trying to get through life as a regular bear....
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:13 am
Re: Truths about the church revealed by The DaVinci Code???
MaggieMcCary wrote:
And wouldn't such a logical, grounded, biological "Second Coming" make it easier for even Darwinians and the most logic and scientifically based thinkers to accept and come to know God?

Actually, all this would prove is that there was a person who was named Jesus, and he and Mary had children. It does nothing to prove any sort of deism on his behalf, nor to prove the existence of a God.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 12:10 pm
The notion doesn't bother me at all.

I was raised in a Christian sect that separates Jesus and God and the Holy Ghost as distinctly different entities- I grew up believing it a heresy to call Jesus "God". I was quite shocked when I realized in my 20's that most Christians consider Jesus and God to be synonymous, and would have considered me the heretic.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 12:30 pm
Christians are just scared, any time something uncoventional comes into regular society they believe its a striike or a front against there belief. I hear ppl yelling outside of my movie theareter that the movie was herosy and a spit in gods faces....i didnt see anyone protesting the Pasion of the Christ at my theareter
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:10 pm
A work of fiction shouldn't threaten any one's faith, except for the instances where Brown brings in historical truths about Catholic adultery with paganism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:14 pm
New revelations, Neo ? ! ? ! ?

Catholics committing adultery with pagans ? ! ? ! ?

Do tell . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:48 pm
Come now, Set. Catholicism did not replace paganism; it merely renamed it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 03:09 pm
You might want to reach inside your dress and pull your slip up, Neo--your bigotry is showing . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 03:15 pm
Quote:
Wouldn't such great-great-etc grandchildren of God be just the sort of loving and insightful and compassionate individuals this world obviously needs right now?

Maybe they're afraid to find out that all the g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandkids are not loving, insightful or compassionate.

Maybe they'd be Charles Manson.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 03:49 pm
To paraphrase Neo, religion didn't create ignorance, superstition, and bigotry, it merely co-opted them.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:28 pm
timberlandko wrote:
To paraphrase Neo, religion didn't create ignorance, superstition, and bigotry, it merely co-opted them.
Y'hear that, Set?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:29 pm
I got ya covered, Bubba . . . here, gimme one a them cold drinks . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:14 pm
Sit and put yer feet up, Set. Hope you'n Timber cn stay a while.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:52 pm
The Merovingians are the force behind the Cathars whose beliefs denies Jesus' divinity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:38 am
No, that is not who the Merovingians were.

The Franks were a confederation of the tribes which had been shattered by the Roman incursions into Gaul and across the Rhine River. Many of these tribes--the Ubii, the Treverii, the Chattii, the Suebii and the Cheruscii to name a few--became peaceful citizens of the Roman empire, but many others refused to submit to the Romans. Driven east, they collided with the Germanic tribes east of the Elbe. Reduced in numbers so that no one tribe could hold their own alone, they formed a confederation of "free men"--the word for which was frank--and called themselves the Franks. Tacitus tells us that German tribes often had a royal family upon whom they would call for leadership in times of war. The German tribes apparently did not have continuously enthroned kings, and might have appointed a powerful war leader to be the Graf in times of crisis, if they mistrusted the leader of the "royal family."

Beginning in the fifth century, the Franks--now split into two main bodies, the Salian Franks (dominant) and the Ripurian Franks (referring to the new homelands they took up in the valley of the Rhine)--began to cross the Rhine into what is today France. Among the Salian Franks, the royal family were the Mervings. When the Huns marched across northern Europe to what is now northern France, the Roman General Aetius (who was probably of German descent) organized a defense by calling on the Franks to fight with him, and offering them a federation in the empire, a common practice in which the Romans would give land to a "barbarian" tribe which would fight on behalf of the empire. Aetius also appealed to the Visigoths, the Alans and the Burgundians. In a battle which is believed to have taken place near Chalons in 451 CE, Aetius fought the Huns to a draw, and Attila was forced to retreat. Attila's influence began to wane thereafter, and the Huns never again threatened the west.

At that time, the Franks chose one of the Mervings as their war leader, and the Romans referred to him as "Merovius" or "Merobius"--hence, the term Merovingian. Taking the decidedly "un-German" idea of an hereditary monarch, the Mervings, now called Merovingians, made themselves, at least nominally, the Kings of the Franks. You can read about the historical Merovingians in this Wikipedia article.

A few of the Knights Templar in later days decided to refer to themselves as Merovingian because of an unsubstantiated claim that they were descended from the "true" Kings of France. It was nonsense then, and it is even bigger nonsense now. Almost everything you will hear or read about the Knights Templar these days is horsie poop, cobbled together from historical half-truths and outright myths. Conspiracy lovers just gobble this poop up. Click here to read the contemporary "official" story of the Knights Templar referred to as Merovingians.

Anyone who thinks there is even an ounce of historical truth in the story of the Knights Templar who called themselves Merovingians is invited to peruse this colorful brochure i have about a bridge in New York i am willing to sell at a discount.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:12 am
Setanta wrote:
Anyone who thinks there is even an ounce of historical truth in the story of the Knights Templar who called themselves Merovingians is invited to peruse this colorful brochure i have about a bridge in New York i am willing to sell at a discount.

Pay no attention to this fraud and charlatan - any who are looking for a bargain bridge should be aware I hold exclusive New York and New Jersey franchises on all bridges, tunnels, and ferry routes. I'm quite willing to deal - just deposit your earnest money with my Nigerian attorney and we can get started.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 12:43 am
I read Holy Blood and Holy Grail and somewhat took it as interesting but not sure if it was fact or fiction..
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 06:30 am
talk72000 wrote:
I read Holy Blood and Holy Grail and somewhat took it as interesting but not sure if it was fact or fiction..

Who cares if Jesus was married or not and had kids, and fare play to him if he was, i think its only religious nuts that want him to be "The walking God" that have a problem with it
0 Replies