Strings and branes, 7 unknown dimensions of me

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 11:50 am
After sitting through a documentary on string theory and M theory, and how Relativity theory and quantum physics merge in string theory...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

...I am curious about some of the details mentioned. I think I found the link here on A2K in the first place, so maybe there's someone here who's into this.

Anyway, M theory predicts 11 dimensions, 7 in addition to the conventional four.

Now, I am but a layman in physics, so I have to take their word for it. But despite my lacking knowledge there is one thing that comes to mind, and fires up my imagination.

It is that in the attempt to discover these seven dimensions the scientists proceed to paint their imaginary universe with dimensions alongside ours. This goes against everything they've spoken about in the documentary.
They contemlpate other dimensions with possibilities of other lifeforms, other intelligences. They never stop to think that existence might be 11 dimensional, that we are living in eleven dimensions, even though we are aware of only four.

It might even be that some of these dimensions are the environments of our mental universe. The theory does predict the existence of non physical "things". I believe they called some of them takyons.

My point is that from the information received it sounds as if everything exists in all eleven dimensions at once, because these branes and strings are what makes up the atoms and so on. If so then we, with our atoms that are made of strings and branes, are eleven dimensional creatures. Now I don't think we are blind and oblivious to more than half of our existence. I have a sneaking suspicion that what we are looking for is so close, so familiar to us that we cannot separate it from ourselves. That it is in us as well as around us.

After all, the mental facilities of our species hasn't always been present. Now, as we have the gift of recollection we can say that the world was always there even though we were oblivious. Back then we lived in three dimensions, because we were unaquainted with time.

So we have gained the knowledge and experience of the dimensions, not all at once, but through evolution. I think this M theory brings it so beautifully into the day that evolution is not done with us humans yet. It hasn't left us to ourselves, nor have we outgrown it. It is working ever around us and within us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 1
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 12:00 pm
I read of the brane-world theory recently, that says our four-dimensional universe may be floating like a lilly pad in a five-dimentional universe. The plan to test the theory sometime next year.
0 Replies