Disposing of old computer

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:16 am
Does anyone know of any organization that handles the disposal of old computers? I'm afraid that mine is too old and tired to be of much use, but there may be some outfit around that cannibalizes or recycles bits and pieces of computers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 481 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:21 am
This site offers help for donating old computers. If nothing else, most cities that don't allow you to just trash the computer hold a once-a-year (or so) drive where you can drop off your old computer (sometimes only up to a certain weight in parts) and they will dispose of it.
At least that's how it works around by me.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:25 am
I'll check some of these places, thanks.

Unfortunately a major problem is that someone would have to pick the thing up; no way can I get it to a recycling center.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:31 am
Tomkitten- Make sure that the hard drive is completely erased, or even destroyed, before you give it away.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:33 am
Well, in that case, hopefully if one of these organizations is near you, they can send someone to get it. Otherwise, do you have a neighbor or a friend with a truck that could haul it for you for gas money or as a favor? And check the laws of your city concerning the disposal of computers. If they offer a day you can turn them in, they may be willing to pick it up, but don't count on it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:36 am
Right, Phoenix. I have a friend who will help me make it blank as an unused slate!

BTW - do you have a preferred software for this?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:48 am
Re: Disposing of old computer
Tomkitten wrote:
Right, Phoenix. I have a friend who will help me make it blank as an unused slate!

BTW - do you have a preferred software for this?

No I don't, but if the computer is so old that it is unusable, why not take out the hard drive, and have a go with it with a hammer? That would be a lot easier, and cheaper!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 10:58 am
Call your local high school or vocational school.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 11:58 am
Well, Phoenix, I suggested that to my friend, but he's a pretty hi-tech guy, and a hammer is a pretty low-tech approach. However, I'm pretty low-tech myself, so I may just have at it bang smash!

P.S. I think I'll try the same thing with my external hard drive that went blooey. It'd be good for my inhibitions, anyway.
0 Replies