The End of "The Negotiator" with Jackson and Spacey

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:09 am
OK, so at the gym yesterday I got caught up in "The Negotiator" with Samuel Jackson and Kevin Spacey. I watched an hour of it (including commercials), missed the very beginning and stopped just when things were getting interesting. I've checked around for plot summaries/ spoilers and get a general feel for what happened but would love further details if I can.

I stopped watching when Jackson's character (Danny Rowan I think) had just started to convince Spacey's character (Chris Sabian) that he (Danny) wasn't actually a psychopath and that bad things were happening in the department. He'd just released a hostage (Frost, played by Ron Rifkin) in exchange for getting electricity turned back on, and had found the voice recordings on Niebaum's (J.T. Walsh) computer. He'd called Sabian, insisted that the line go private, and asked Sabian to talk to the widow of his partner Nate (whose murder had started this whole thing).

Questions to get started:

- Did Danny actually kill that one cop, one of the two who came bursting in? He pistol-whipped him, but the gunshot is only shown discharging (nothing into the guy) and most of the reaction is from his wife when she hears it over the phone. If not (and I expect not) how is that resolved? Does the guy come to and come walking in or something?

- Who are the ultimate bad guys? What's their comeuppance, exactly?

- What was the scam? Taking money from the disability fund?

- What ends up happening (or not happening) to Danny?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,074 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:09 am
Oh and who was the informant?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 09:18 am
Re: The End of "The Negotiator" with Jackson and S
sozobe wrote:
- Did Danny actually kill that one cop, one of the two who came bursting in? He pistol-whipped him, but the gunshot is only shown discharging (nothing into the guy) and most of the reaction is from his wife when she hears it over the phone.

Of course not. Danny is a good guy.

sozobe wrote:
If not (and I expect not) how is that resolved? Does the guy come to and come walking in or something?

At one point towards the end, the camera finds the guy tied up and gagged in the other room.

sozobe wrote:
Who are the ultimate bad guys? What's their comeuppance, exactly?

Some fairly high-up people in the police department. You should have seen them in the part of the movie you watched, but I don't remember their faces and statures; it's been five years since I last saw the movie.

Danny persuades Kevin Spay to search one of the bad guy's home. The bad guys show up, there's a showdown, and I think Spacey puts them in a situation where they'd have to murder a couple more people to destroy the evidence. He then persuades them that the murder wouldn't be worth it. There are computer files which play a role in Danny persuading Kevin Spacey. My memory is hazy about the details. In particular, I think Danny somehow gets out of the building and is part of the search, but I'm not sure.

sozobe wrote:
What was the scam? Taking money from the disability fund?

Yes.

sozobe wrote:
What ends up happening (or not happening) to Danny?

Danny's a good guy, so he wins.

It's a really good movie. Definitely worth watching one and a half time rather than half a time.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 02:19 pm
One of my favorite movies, Soz. Do you remember the character Frost? The police captain or whatever rank? He is the one that shot Danny's partner and he headed up the scam of stealing money from the policemen's retirement fund. Most of the guys that were on the swat team were in on it too. That's why they shot Nebaum (internal affairs). They thought he was onto them. The informat was Nate, Danny's partner.

Kevin Spacey is my all time favorite actor!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 10:54 am
Thanks, guys!

But wasn't Nate visiting an informant... wasn't it that Nate was getting the info from someone?

And wasn't Niebaum a bad guy? (Nate, Danny's partner, was shot, Niebaum was a hostage.)

Was Niebaum the informant?

Thomas, I think you're right, and I'll have to get the movie to watch in its entirety. There is usually crap on that channel (TNT) when I'm at the gym (Steven Seagal et al) and I didn't recognize this movie and so started half-watching it with no particular expectations, and definitely got sucked right in. Hated to leave.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm
Soz,

Nate was Neibaums informant. When Rudy (I think that was his name) was looking at Neibaum's computer he brought up Nate's file and it said "Informant" on it. Nate was supposed to meet someone the night he was killed that was supposedly going to give him information on the Policeman's Fund scam.

Neibaum was not a bad guy. He did think that Danny was in on it but he really was a good guy investigating the scam. He was killed by others involved in the scam so he couldn't tell Danny anything.
0 Replies

dmoney3

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 02:07 pm
@sozobe,
You guys are close in your replies, but not quite there. Here is what really happened...
- Did Danny actually kill that one cop, one of the two who came bursting in? He pistol-whipped him, but the gunshot is only shown discharging (nothing into the guy) and most of the reaction is from his wife when she hears it over the phone. If not (and I expect not) how is that resolved? Does the guy come to and come walking in or something?

No. Danny just fired a shot in the room. Later toward the end of the movie when Sabian comes up and talks with Danny in person, again, Danny shows him the cop, who is tied up and gagged but alive. He is rescued shortly afterward when Swat/FBI raid the building, even though Danny escaped.

- Who are the ultimate bad guys? What's their comeuppance, exactly?
Frost is the ring leader, and most likely the guy who actually killed Nate. He was on the disability fund's board with Danny, so he had access to the money. The other SWAT guys were involved, Hellman, Allen, Argento, they subbed false claims to get their share which Frost would cover up. They paid off Neibom and framed Danny.

- What was the scam? Taking money from the disability fund?
Yes. Rudy explained it in the movie. Its the same as insurance fraud, where you would submit a false claim and get paid out. But it would only work if the "agent" was in on the scam. The "agent" in this case would be Frost, where the SWAT guys involved were those submitting the false disabled claims.
And Neibom was involved too. He confessed this toward the climax of the movie. Nate lied about there being some other "informant" that he was meeting with. Nate himself was the informant who told Neibom about the scam. Nate worked for Internal Affairs, he worked directly for Neibom, but did not tell Danny because it was classified. When Nate told Neibom about what was going on, Neibom went to the SWAT guys and they paid him off to be quiet and help frame Danny. The night Nate was killed he was there to meet Danny, or at least he thought he was, because of the pager message that was sent to both Nate and Danny, presumably sent from the killer.

- What ends up happening (or not happening) to Danny?
Sabian and Danny trick Frost into confessing everything, using a bluff, where Sabian pretended to want in on the conspiracy. His confession is heard on cb radio by the entire force. They arrest Frost and the other guys involved, Danny is cleared.

URL: https://able2know.org/reply/post-2088952
0 Replies