Validation code

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 02:43 pm
Hopw can I find my Validation Code for Windows XP on my new computer? I want to download the latest IE & they're asking for it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 697 • Replies: 16
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 04:41 pm
it should be on the sleeve or case that contains your windows xp installation disc

it may also be somewhere on your computer towers case, it will be a small sticker, about the size of an address label, with the microsoft logo and validation code
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:00 pm
Validation code
The computer didn't come with any xp installation disc.

There is a sticker on top of the tower with the serial number. It also has a number called "Prod#". Is this product number the same as the validation number?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:02 pm
Validation code
Also, I had a validation number for Windows XP when I installed it on my old computer, but of course that would apply only to that installation on that machine. Anyway, I have no idea where it would be by now; it's been years since that installation.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:33 pm
the sticker on the side of mine states it's a microsoft windows millenium edition, and then has a product key, it's 25 characters long (a mix of numbers and letters, broken up into 5 characters blocks), it looks like this

X11XX-XXXXX-1XXX1-XXXX1-X1XXX (X=various letters, 1=various numbers)
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:05 pm
Validation code
Yes, that looks more like the kind of thing I remember. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything of the sort on this beast.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:14 pm
Validation code
Yippee! I just found an almost invisible sticker with infinitesimal numbers, called "Product Key". This must be it, as it is headed Windows HP Media Center, etc.

Thanks for the tip!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:16 pm
cool
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:16 pm
Validation code
They sure don't make it easy, do they!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:22 pm
Validation code
I guess I rejoiced too soon. Sad

I now realize that not merely the code is required, but first I must run the Validation Tool. Now where in heck will I find that?

Mad
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:37 pm
check microsoft's web site, that's all i can suggest

or ditch IE altogether and try firefox as a browser, you can find it here mozilla firefox

it's quite good and less prone to problems than IE
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 08:31 pm
Validation code
I am on Firefox, but I would like IE accessibility.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 08:40 pm
You should have the opportunity to download the validation tool right where they're asking for validation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 08:44 pm
I was the valdictorian at my 8th grade graduation, does that count?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:41 pm
Did anyone stand up and salud?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 09:03 am
If I correctly understand what you're asking, TK, the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool will be intalled automatically when you visit Windows Update

Oh, and Windows Update will work only with M$ browsers - 3rd Party browsers are not supported. You can configure Firefox to open specific pages in IE if you wish, but its just as easy to sinmply use IE for your visits to Windows Update.

Just FYI - In versions of Windows previous to XP, the product key is relatively easy to dig out of the registry if you know where to look. With XP, not so; the key is there, but encrypted.

ViewKeyXP and Magical Jellybean[/i][/u] are free utitlities which will unencrypt and report your Windows product key.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 03:33 pm
The Magic Jellybean Key Finder is outrageously effective.
Awesome software. I use that one a lot.
0 Replies