how do I turn off the touchpad on my notebook?

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:58 pm
I can't seem to find anything on the computer that has anything to do with the touchpad. There used to be an icon in the taskbar but it's no longer there. It's driving me crazy as everytime I accidentally brush it with my wrist, it screws up what I'm typing. I assume I need to download a driver or something. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what to do next.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,634 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:13 pm
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Mouse (or perhaps Pointing Device) - the control program for your touchpad should be there. There's probably a settings page from which you can configure the touchpad's sensitivity. Also, if you are using an actual outboard mouse, external to the machine, you should disable the touchpad altogether. Often, just plugging in a mouse will disable the machine's built in touchpad, but not always).

What make and model is your laptop?
Wilso

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:18 pm
Check your control panel. Either in Mouse or System>Hardware>Device Manager. You should be able to disable it somewhere there.

My compaq laptop has a power button for the touch pad which enables you to simply turn it off. I use a separately connected mouse due to the same problem you're describing.
0 Replies

nannabammrn

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:49 pm
Acer aspire 3003 LCi
I just rolled back the driver to the previous one and got back what I had before, however, I am still not sure how to set the thing. Seems like I had seen at some time a way to regulate the sensitivity of the touchpad or even the size of the area that is active. At any rate, I will get to the bottom of it eventually, but I appreciate the help. I just joined up today and it is really nice to have a place to ask a simple question. I can't tell you how many hours I have wasted trying to find the answers to my questions in the archives of someone's FAQ. I have come to hate them. They are never a quick easy answer. I need to be led by by someone with much more knowledge than myself. Thank-you for your help.
0 Replies

Peter Hearn

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:11 pm
@timberlandko,
My laptop is a Compaq 320
0 Replies