Giraffe-like animal spotted

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 04:37 pm
Osso, Macs don't really do "right-click" - hold down the Control key (called Cnntrol Clicking in MAClish) while clicking to achieve more or less the effect right-clicking gives in Windows ... depending on what your mouse pointer is on when you Control Click, different option menus will pop up, allowing you to select from a variety of actions or functions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:16 pm
Warning, OFF TOPIC.

Thank you, Timber..
Yeh, my old mac didn't do right click - I just had to hold the mouse button down to see the URL, or some choice that included the url. Actually easier than with a pc. The mouse that came with this has left and right though. I'll check out what you say, that would be great if it works.

Wouldn't cure the constant freezing of cursor though.. heh.

Background for this is I spent days trying to get connected to dsl here, first on the old mac and then bought a new one, as I wanted one anyway. and this was the last best time I could possibly afford to do that. Turns out I found out about thirty days later that Qwest doesn't support macs.
Grrrr. Got something in the mail - URGENT - a week or so after that, with a disc to set up Macs for dsl. Oh thanks. Finally got semi connected to dsl.

Anyway, the new mac freezes if I go to the kitchen and make a tuna sandwich. (Yes, I've set my sleep choices, pays no attention to those, and it freezes, sleeping or not.) Sometimes, as an added challenge, the cursor hasn't frozen yet, but it won't let me type. This all happened from the first day...

yes, I've called the Mac company. They were moderately helpful - that is how I got connected to dsl to the extent I am. Am keeping a list for one long telephone call.

I have a long term warranty, I am just frazzled enough with the new old house stuff. Using a door as a desk, have all my paperwork in sacks...
Whine. Maybe next week, after the workguys clear out.

In the meantime, I'll try your suggestion with the control key.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:26 pm
Tried clicking on control key and the cursor on photo on that link - YAY, it worked. Thank you....

Went to post that it worked, couldn't type. Restarted...

Whew.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:14 pm
Good news to report on that tangent about my new Mac ---

it wasn't the Mac. It was having my phone connected to my modem. Once I moved the phone to another room, all the cursor freezes, sudden failures to type, and miscellaneous other annoyances immediately stopped.
0 Replies