Timing with new computr hibernation.

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:03 pm
My new machine is an HP Pavilion a1550y. I goes into some kind of hibernation mode after 10 minutes, and I have to press the on/off button several times before it comes back.

Is there some way to change this hibernation situation?

HP very kindly doesn't provide any disc or print manual Not one clue to how to hanldle the computer. I will be asking them also, but maybe I can get a quick answer here. I hope.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 495 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:43 pm
Right-click anywhere on a blank area of your desktop, select "Properties", then click the "Screensaver" tab. In the bottom panel of that tab, click the "Power" button. Under the "Power Schemes" tab, use the dropdowns to configure the various options to suit your preferences.

(Note: Hibernation can be a lifesaver for a laptop not connected to mains power; I don't recommend you shut it off on the "Running on Batteries" section. For a desktop, or an always-plugged-in laptop, hibernation is of little practical use)

Click "Save As", give that power scheme a name, click "Apply", confirm if prompted, click "OK", and reboot.

Alternately, under the "Hibernate" tab, you could disable hibernation, which comes with the same advice concerning battery operation offered above - generally not a good idea for a laptop which from time to time will be operated on battery power.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:40 pm
It's not a laptop, but a PC.

However, I'm amazed at how small the tower is!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:49 pm
Well, IMO, hibernate ain't much use on a desktop; its prime function is to preserve data and settings without power consumption, though at the expense of disk space. Your call, of course, but if it were my machine, I'd just disable hibernate and not waste the disk space it requires. Just my opinion, mind you.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:14 am
I agree. It's just a nuisance, really. I know I can change it by going to Preferences in some place or other, but don't know where Preferences lives.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:51 am
See my first reply, TK - that's how to get there.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:03 pm
Thanks, Timber. I missed that paragraph somehow.
0 Replies