Free Zip Reader Download problem

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:35 pm
I tried to download this software from two sites, download.com and pk software homegage, but the result was same- Failure.

The exact problem : The zip reader setup was installed successfully and placed on the desktop automaticaly on both the ocassions. But when I double clicked it to open it up, it would run for a while but disappear in a moment. The install wizard was not able to run properly.

P.S. I am using Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 5.0

Do you have any idea what the problem is and what could be the possible remedy?
Is there a better place to download it from?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 976 • Replies: 9
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:44 pm
Which zip reader sooftware was it? I use winzip and never had a problem. But I have been told that Windows will automatically open a zip program even without the software. It could be that the software requires XP or higher. Better wait for a pro to answer.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:58 pm
Spidergal, I might be able to help if you could be a bit more specific.

What operating system are you using?

I gather the download completes, but you are unable to access the downloaded file - is that correct?

What exactly are you trying to download - a ZIP utility or some other software delivered as a zipped file?

If not a ZIP utility, but some other software, is it supposed to be a self-de-compressing file which fails to decompress?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:35 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Spidergal, I might be able to help if you could be a bit more specific.

What operating system are you using?

I gather the download completes, but you are unable to access the downloaded file - is that correct?

What exactly are you trying to download - a ZIP utility or some other software delivered as a zipped file?

If not a ZIP utility, but some other software, is it supposed to be a self-de-compressing file which fails to decompress?

Operating system - Windows 98.

Yes, the download completes, not able to access it and install it.

This is what I was trying to download.

Thanks for trying,Timberlandko
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:31 pm
Edit - Edit - Never mind - I see you already tried to download it from the publisher's website - I should pay more attention Embarrassed Rolling Eyes

See what happens if you try to download it from the software publisher's own Download Page - I didn't try the cNet link you provided, but I did go right to "The Source", so to speak. It downloaded fine, and installed without difficulty both on a 98SE machine and on an ME machine.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:21 pm
Try this:

First, delete your current downloads of PKReader.

Next, with no browser open, go to the taskbar at the bottom of your screen. Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs
Look for anything that would be related to PKReader - on the 98SE machine I used, it shows up as ZIP Reader 8.00.0018. If it shows up, click the "Add/Delete" button, and confirm then click "Apply", then "OK". If its not there, just click "Cancel"

Next, still in Control Panel, click Internet Options>"General" tab
In the 2nd panel, click "Delete Cookies" and confirm. Then click "Delete Files", place a checkmark in the "Delete all ofline content" box, click "OK", and confirm. That could take a few moments to complete. When it has finished, click "Apply" and "OK" to close the Internet Options Control Panel, then close Control Panel to exit back to your desktop.

Reboot. Go to the publisher's own download page, and try again. Lemme know what happens.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:13 am
timberlandko wrote:
Edit - Edit - Never mind - I see you already tried to download it from the publisher's website - I should pay more attention Embarrassed Rolling Eyes

See what happens if you try to download it from the software publisher's own Download Page - I didn't try the cNet link you provided, but I did go right to "The Source", so to speak. It downloaded fine, and installed without difficulty both on a 98SE machine and on an ME machine.

I had tried that link too. The same problem occured. However, I am going to try what you have suggested in the next post.

Thanks again,Compexpert. Smile
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 08:13 am
Deleted History contents. Nothing like pkreader shows up in the Add/Remove. I'll try to download again.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:13 pm
Timber, are you there?

I gave up on PKware and downloaded Winzip and have succcessfully unzipped all files. Thanks for helping all the way through this.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:21 pm
Thanks for the update. Sorry your first choice didn't work out, glad you got what you needed though. Odd - I had no problem downloading and installing PKZip on a couple Win98 machines. Ain't Windows wunnerful? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies