cant change screen size to to 800by600(slider stuck)

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 04:00 am
this looks like the kinda place I might get help. Very Happy
I have windows98 and the other day I was deleting stuff out of add/remove programs and I must have deleted something important by accident because the screen size changed bigger.
When I went into properties the slider bar is stuck and wont change the size.
Also graphics appear distorted and colourless when viewing websites.
Any help hugely appreciated>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,832 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 04:11 am
toothpick- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy I don't have the foggiest, but we do have a lot of computer gurus on this site, so I am sure that there will be someone here who can help you.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 04:40 am
I currently do not use Windows box and I cannot give a real suggestion about this but merely a "first-aid" thing.
Windows has a vast amount of Help files. You can consult the Windows Help in this case.
Good luck.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:47 am
Hi toothpick,

The easiest way to take care of the problem might be to just reinstall windows. It shouldn't affect anything else you have on there and will simply install any files that were accidently deleted, giving you the full OS again. Good Luck!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:19 am
toothpick,

Thanks for including your OS, it's hard to help people who do not give the basic details like that.

Win 98 didn't have system restore, so there's no easy way to help get those files back (unless they happen to be in the recycle bin?).

In any case you will probably have to at least reinstall your browser and more likely have to reinstall your OS.

If you want to resize your browser to 800 by 600 put this code in your URL bar and click enter:

Code:javascript:resizeTo(800,600)
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:10 pm
Vid Drivers
Howdy Toothpick:

Depending on your video card and if you updated the drivers at all, the update sometimes places itself in the add/remove area.. NVidia does just that.. If you removed this, then you dumped your video drivers..

I would suggest you go into Device Manager and find your video display.. highlight and remove it.. Now, restart your computer.. Windows should find it again.. Simply re-install the correct drivers for the card and all should be back to normal.

Murray
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 01:42 am
The sliders in the control panel sometimes get stuck. What works for me to get a medium-sized hammer then gently but firmly smack the screen until the problem goes away completely. Grrrr... it feels pretty good too!

Wait, wait, I mean... Win98 only displays options for the screen sizes supported by the software. If all you were doing was deleting files, I bet you deleted the native drivers for your video card. Then Windows has to use the generic, boring, no-fancy-options drivers that work on all video cards. Which probably don't support 800x600 mode.

I have a Windows98 machine and the "Add/Remove Programs" thingy DOES list my special video card software. So I bet you deleted it. When you offend the god of technology, you must pray. Here's how:

1) You could try "Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add New Hardware" then have it try to "search for any new Plug and Play devices". That might recognize your video card all over again, and reactivate it's features. It might even ask you to insert the original Win98 CD so it can go fetch what you deleted.

2) Dig around the bottom of your closet for the original CD's that came with your system. One is Windows98. Another is "Somesuch Video Card Drivers". Run the installation process for the video drivers right from that CD.

3) You could reinstall Win98. That might also restore the original video drivers (through basically the same "Plug and Pray" process).

4) You could get the manuals out, figure out who made your video card (or the motherboard if video is on that), then go to that company's website and download their latest video drivers. If it's a Dell, Gateway or HP machine, you'd go straight to their online tech support to find "downloads". I've done this a few times, takes 10 minutes.

5) Buy a geek a pizza. Then he owes you, and you won't have to think about any of this crap.

Without more info, these are just guesses.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 01:24 pm
can't change screen size
Since 98 doesn't have System Restore do you by any chance have GoBack, either as part of Norton Utilities or a stand alone program? If not, reinstalling may be the only way to go short of paying a guru. (Or, as suggested, if you know a guru, buy him/her a pizza).
0 Replies