Software on flash memory?

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 05:48 pm
I have a keychain 1 GB flash memory. I've copied all my documents and pictures onto it in anticipation of getting rid of my old computer. My question is, can I put shortcuts to things like Quicken or games on it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 505 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 07:01 pm
I suppose you could, but there wouldn't be much point to doing it; a "shortcut" amounts to the address of a particular file or executable on a particular machine. Without the actual file or executable behind it, at the specified address, the shortcut isn't much good.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 07:15 pm
Timber is right.... the shortcut just points to the program. Shortcuts are just conveniences and are useless by themself.

Depending on what the program is, it may be possible to copy the real program (not the shortcut) to the flash memory. Unfortunately a lot of software makes this difficult to do.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:29 am
Software on flash memory?
Just curious. I realize there wouldn't be much advantage, but the thought of putting a program onto a flash memory intrigues me.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 10:06 am
Oh, it can be done - complete, independent stand-alone applications, such as text or registry editors, media manipulators, yuckware scan-and-remove apps, and more, all can be written to and run from flash media. Even a functional, bootable operating system and fully functioning applications, can be placed on flash media; for instance, BartPE and assorted scan, repair and manipulation tools readilly can be written to and run from a "pen" or "thumb" "drive", for very effective use in yuckware removal and subsequent system repair ... extremely handy, in that the method does not involve the infected machine's own operating system, which, since it is not booted, is inactive, has no files loaded or otherwise "in use".
0 Replies