What's a social security number?

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:35 pm
An american magazine, in its writers guide, asks all the contributors to include their social security number along with the normal requirements on their bio. Does this requirement apply to overseas writers like me too? I never heard of anything like that in our country. I know this is something the magazine staff can better answer for me. But, for the time being, can you just brief me with some information about 'Social Security number'?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 682 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:43 pm
The Social Security Administration was established to provide a minimal pension for all elderly Americans, beginning in 1935. Everyone who works and pays taxes in the United States has the amount of their earnings reported to the Social Security Administration. If you are employed, your employer withholds 6.2% of your gross income for Social Security (and 1.45% for Medicare, a health program for the elderly) and then contributes a matching amount. If you are self-employed, you owe 12.4% of your income for Social Security (2.9% for Medicare). Everyone is who is employed must have or obtain a Social Security Account Number (SSAN), usually just called a Social Security Number.

In fact, the 1935 Act which enabled Social Security provided that no one can require you to give your social security number, other than the Social Security administration or the Internal Revenue Service--and that you cannot be denied services or excluded from any form of commercial participation if you refuse to provide it. I don't care who it is, anyone who gives up their SSAN when they don't have to is a fool.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:44 pm
Sorry, i didn't quite answer your question. No, it cannot apply to you. In the portion of any form requesting the SSAN, simply put "n/a"--meaning "not applicable."
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:46 pm
I read the second post first....my question is answered. Smile Thanks for the quick response, Set.
0 Replies