MMC cards not working properly

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 07:57 am
Hey guys!
Well, straight to the point. Ive got a 64MB MMC I use in my Nokia 6230 and it seems to have died.

When I put it into my Laptop it is sometimes recognised, but the majourity of the time, it isnt. It used to always work in it.

On the occasion it does recognise it. It crashes 'my computer' when i try and select, format and do other things to it.

When I browse the card on my 6230, I see all these strange files it doesnt allow me to delete. They are apparently taking up 1778.2MB each aswell which is impossible as my card is only 64MB!! There are about 7 folders and 30 files, but havent counted them to be honest.

Is there anything I can do to mend it? or is there a program which will flash the entire card so its got nothing on it?

Help will be appreciated!
Thanks,
DarkJohn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 707 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 07:51 pm
I could be wrong, but, from what you've described, its my guess the card's toast; it happens, and when it does, symptoms such as those you've listed are common. I'm afraid you're looking at replacing it, not restoring it.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:34 am
There is a way around this.
I had the same thing happen to me with a 2 gig USB stick that was full even though it was nowhere near it.
The problem was caused by a fragmented and corrupt set of files that I'd put on there.
All the file headers were toast.
I couldn't delete the files either.

I solved the problem by using Hewlett Packard's flash card formatter.
I can't find a direct link to it on the web so I've uploaded what I downloaded ages ago to my own website.
They're free so there's no problems.
You can get at the programs here :
http://www.davethedrummer.com/pics/drivekey

The HPUSBFW application is a windows one and the other is a DOS one.
They both work a treat.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:35 am
I'll keep them up there for a few days before deleting them.

Cool
0 Replies

DarkJohn

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 06:31 am
Thanks Heliotrope!
Ive downloaded the program but I managed to mend it last night! All I did was rename the card using my 6230 then format it using the phone.. worked brilliantly, its so stupid!!

So if anyone has this problem, try doing that!

I'm going to keep the program for future reference anyway, so your time was not wasted Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 07:52 am
Great news - glad I was wrong. Good stuff, there, Helio - I just tried your utility on a couple cards I'd given up on. It seems to have worked on one, one apparently really is toast, but that's a pretty old one anyhow; an 8MB 1st Generation CF card, it came with a digicam I bought 6 or 7 years ago, I think. The camera still works fine w/other, faster, higher-capacity cards, so no big deal. Thanks.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:47 pm
No worries guys.
I'll take those files away now but if anyone else needs them just get in touch.
0 Replies