Discount Airfares from US to Europe

Swimpy

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:51 am
I neglected a tiny detail. I don't have a passport Embarrassed I'll get my application completed on Monday 6/16. It's starting to look like we can travel sometime in August or early September. I've been thinking about maybe traveling by car. We could land in London and take the Chunnel to whereever that goes (France I assume.) Any recommendations on car rentals?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:52 am
You want the car in Britain (rightside steering) and on the continent (left-site steering) and the same in every country?

Or change it when crossing boundaries/channel?

If you are a member of some automobile club, you'll get a discount with some specific companies (depends on).

Otherwise, I think, any of the major companies will do - there's not soo much difference (sixt usually has the best offers).
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 12:06 pm
Well, sounds interesting.
How long are you going to stay?
Roundtrip by car or a different drop off location?
Manual transmission?
Automatic is mostly more expensive.

It is a long way from France to Austria- worth if you can travel leisurely.

I use to check holidayautos.com- they often have very good deals.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:52 pm
I think we'll have two weeks to make the trip. Maybe I'm being too ambitious. Mapquest tells me that it is 937 miles from London to Maria Saal, Austria. I think that we'd have plenty of time to get there awith stops along the way. We can drive from our home to California in three days (distance of just under 2,000 miles.) Don't know if we'd drive back. On the way we will have our son with us, who speaks fluent German. Going back we'd be on our own.

Walter, I think we'd rent a car in France so we could have teh wheel on the correct side.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 11:39 pm
Swimpy wrote:

Walter, I think we'd rent a car in France so we could have teh wheel on the correct side.

That would be the best, I think as well Laughing
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:10 am
I got my application for a passport submitted today. They said it will take 8 weeks! That means no travel before September.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:30 am
September/October can be very nice here and in Austria. Or not :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:32 am
Personally, I think September/October is better..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:21 am
ossobuco wrote:
Personally, I think September/October is better..

Unfortunately, we must live here the other ten months of a year as well Laughing
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:20 am
Since my son is a farmer in Austria, we have to time this trip so as to not interfere with harvest time.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:18 pm
I'm finding some fantastic air fares right now for travel in September and October. Need to get the significant other to make a decision! Otherwise, I may be traveling alone.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:24 pm
Lucky are the people who can travel in off season.
:wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:43 pm
ul wrote:
Lucky are the people who can travel in off season.
:wink:

But those usually don't have so many paid holidays as some others :wink:
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:02 pm
no small children might be a reason, too.

"But those usually don't have so many paid holidays as some others"--grin.
[size=7]Although you know that the salary is just evenly distributed over a full year-no paid holidays.[/size]
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:05 pm
Flying off season means working all Summer, but the reward will be worth it. I found a British Airways flight from Chicago to Londaon for $299 one way with two free nghts in a hotel. Pretty tempting.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:10 pm
Plans have changed. There may be a trip in January of February, but right now I'm in Limbo.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 12:46 pm
Swimpy,
Have you found any good airfares yet or planned your trip? I'm searching fro the same info for a trip in April. I have no definite destination yet but am planning on spending 2 weeks in Europe. Vienna was one place I'd like to visit. I'm also thinking London,Paris,Prague and the Cinque Terra/Lake Como,Italy
So far I've found Airfare to Paris for around $700.00, just wondering if I'll be able to find anything cheaper
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 02:00 pm
My plans are up in the air right now, marty. Tentatively looking at February. I've been watching the fares, but haven't seen anything under &700. That seems like a pretty good fare from your part of the world.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:13 pm
I'll keep you posted on what I find!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 07:02 pm
Thanks, that would be great.
0 Replies