Where to start with Flash programming? (not just animations)

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 06:46 am
Hi,

I'm something of an expert in Perl/CGI programming, but I think one of my web projects demands a (Macromedia) Flash client and I have no idea where to start or what I need (i.e. development tools). Coming from the Perl/Linux mindset I hope this won't cost anything, but if it does I don't want to buy the wrong thing first!

The client needs to be dynamic and interact with the user and it needs to communicate every few seconds with a remote server (by simple HTTP/CGI) to send and receive information, which gets displayed on the user's screen (i.e. like a chat-room, but this is going to have audio/music too). I'd prefer to work with objects if possible.

I did spend a few hours looking at the Macromedia website a few months ago, and it all seems possible, but I got confused with all the different products. I guess I need the ActionScript 2.0 component to make a fully interactive Flash application, and Flash Basic 8 has this. I assume Flash Basic 8 isn't missing any of the audio features I need..? (I need seamless looping playback.).

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

many thanks,

partfiend.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,903 • Replies: 2
No top replies

N66FC Raptor

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:18 am
Hi,
Macromedia Flash is no longer, it's Adobe Flash now, if you're just getting started with flash you need to make sure your audience is capable of viewing your work, to do this use the "Flash Detection Kit" from adobe.com, once the clients browser is updated with the latest version of flash, they can use your flash Web site. Take a look here to see how to get your visitors updated automatically http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39500&start=10 It's as good as place as any to start! As far as building your flash webisodes, that's another story. Good luck!
0 Replies

shannonlp

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:31 pm
Have you had a chance to work on your project yet. I have used flash quite a bit but never for a data application.

Would like to know if you had any luck?
0 Replies