nobody is perfect?

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 02:28 am
nobody is perfect , meaning that somebody who is perfect is inperfect making everything perfect , and making everyone perfect abolishes imperfections in this world
- elizabeth georgina meynell
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 997 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:28 am
What an odd quote. What do you think it means?
0 Replies

angelaicscars

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:39 pm
it means
everybody is equal , no less no more - nothing more than energy at the end of time
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:07 pm
The perfect person, would not be perfect if they allowed imperfection to continue to exist in the world.

Being unable to make the world perfect, demonstrates that the individual was not perfect in the first place, thus ... no one is perfect.

This is similar to the underliying conception in Mahayana Buddhism.

A person capable full enlightenment, will out of compassion, will out of compassion postpone enlightenment to mitigate the suffering of the world. Hence, the Bodhisatva concept that lies at the heart of Mahayana Buddhism.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 05:54 pm
Who's gonna win the world cup Ash. That's what we want to know at 2 to 1 the field. Buddha's a cultural fossil.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 07:53 pm
Ultimately, it doesn't matter a bit who wins the World's Cup. The world will still turn on its axis, and bread and beer must still be won. I favored Brazil, but then I'm a bit of a conservative anyway.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:22 pm
A perfect person eh?

So what then, is the standard by which to measure by?

First things first
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:59 pm
Perfection is without fault. Since any characteristic or feature may be regarded as "fault", perfection isn't attainable. Perfection encompasses the whole where discrimination is no longer relevant. To be whole, and perfect is to be outside of space and time; it is to be zero and infinity, unchanging because there is nothing to change to, or from. This condition is outside time which only comes into existence when duality exists (good and bad) and change occurs creating space. Perfection is the underlying Reality beyond the world of perception, and from which all multiplicities apparently arise.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:04 am
If that is to be the working definition, all discussion regarding attaining such a state seems pointless, wouldn't you say?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:58 pm
doc S wrote:
If that is to be the working definition, all discussion regarding attaining such a state seems pointless, wouldn't you say?

No. All discussion regarding perfect vs flawed is an attempt to unify these concepts in order to understand that they have no real substance. It takes one to know the other.

Besides, the notion of imperfection comes from the notion of self as a distinguishable 'apartness' from everything else. But as Asherman points out, there is only one perfect circle in wich we all and everyting around us are indistinguishable parts of the whole.
So when one attains full understanding, this enlightenment, there is only 'perfect'.
0 Replies

macaroni

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 12:22 pm
i think no one is perfect and it's okay that way, because i wouldn't really like a perfect person. i mean a full time, unbreakable machine that person would be!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 12:33 pm
You think? That wouldn't be perfect if you resent the mere thought of it.

The perfect person would be one hundred percent adapted to you and you'd form a dynamic synergi of perfection.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:02 pm
The very concept of perfection implies a subjective value judgment . . . therefore, as far as "perfection" is concerned, they ain't no such a thing.

Asherman, there is absolutely no rational basis for your contention that a perfect person would not allow imperfection in the world around them--you don't establish the assertion, you simply make the assertion.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:13 pm
Quote:
The very concept of perfection implies a subjective value judgment . . . therefore, as far as "perfection" is concerned, they ain't no such a thing.

Such a shame. Are there no subjects with values, who can judge?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:15 pm
Anyone can judge, it simply means that there are no demonstrably objective absolutes . . . absolutes are only thought experiments . . .
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:21 pm
I like that just fine.

I like the idea that I am in control of my own destiny at least, even though I am not in control of my 'self'.
0 Replies

macaroni

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:06 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
You think? That wouldn't be perfect if you resent the mere thought of it.

The perfect person would be one hundred percent adapted to you and you'd form a dynamic synergi of perfection.

Yes, I Think. I'm not resenting my thought, i'm saying that I Think that there aren't any perfect ppl and that other ppl are entitled to saying that there are.

And pls, cud you explain ur second sentence, if it's directed to me, because i cudn't understand wat you said.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:16 pm
macaroni

I didn't mean "you think?" as in "oh, so you have the ability". It was a lazy way of saying, "do you think so?".

The second sentence basically means that perfection is a subjective judgement, not an absolute.
0 Replies

angelaicscars

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:48 pm
wow
u still talking bout this post , i made that quote up when i was 9 lol
0 Replies