No Bar Exam Required to Practice Law?

Miller

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 01:34 pm
According to The National Law Journal, a program at N.H.'s Franklin Pierce Law Center allows graduates to obtain a license to practice law without passing the bar exam. This program is designed to give students practical experience during their 2nd and 3rd year of school, which is monitored by faculty, attorneys and judges. After three years, participants are eligible to pracice without enduring the two day rite of passage.

After completing the program, the student can become licensed after passing the multistate professional responsibility examination and satisfying the state's character and fitness requirements.

Wisconsin is the only State that does not require law graduates to pass a state bar examination, provided that they graduate from one of the state's two ABA-accredited law schools.

5/1/06 issue of NLJ
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,915 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 01:40 pm
On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin!
Grand old Badger state!
We, thy loyal sons and daughters
Hail thee good and great.
On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin!
Champion of the right.
"Forward," our motto - God
Will give thee might!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 04:54 pm
I thought it was the Dakotas or maybe just one of 'em that didn't require Bar passage, so long as you went to Law School in the state, the idea being that they'd offer that sort of an incentive to get lawyers to work there.

PS Re Franklin Pierce -- there isn't as much of a lawyer shortage in NH, so I predict it will fail, as I suspect most firms will be awfully skittish about hiring people who didn't pass the Bar exam. Might also spark a lawsuit.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:16 am
Interesting. I'm currently taking a break from studying for the NY Bar, and I'll admit, it would be nice to become licensed without having to take it. Of the many subjects that are tested, I won't need to remember much of it after the exam, since I'm going into a particular field of law.

That a person could go $100,000 into debt after three years of intensive study and NOT be able to practice what they studied for just because they didn't pass ONE test seems unfair. I've known VERY intelligent students (TA's even) who did not pass the bar, for whatever reason (maybe they choked the days of the exam, or they just don't "test" well).

Personally, I'm scared sh*tless. I already have a job waiting for me in September, and many other plans, but all that goes out the window if I don't pass this one test. Uh... I'm going to get back to studying now. Writing this just got me depressed. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:22 am
Justan: congratulations on graduating from law school. No doubt you'll do just fine on the bar exam. And just remember, you can still get a good job if you fail the exam, and fail it again, and fail it again -- if you're John F. Kennedy, Jr., that is.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 12:50 pm
Good luck on the Bar, Justan.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 03:52 pm
The Mayor of LA graduated from Law School and to date, still hasn't be able to pass the bar Exam. Mad
0 Replies