Social Security Numbers

littlek

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:25 pm
How does the US come up with it's social security numbers? I Know that my little sister and I have the same first 5 digits. We have the same last name and were born in the same hospital, I assume that these may be why we share digits. But, our older sister also shares digits (I can't remember which ones exactly) and she was born in a different hoispital. Does anyone know the method?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,563 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:37 pm
Partly, it's geographical. My sister's number and mine are within a digit or two, even though we got them weeks apart. Anyway, the east coast seems to have the low numbers. The bottom of the southwest are high. Maybe they start in Maine and end in San Diego?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:37 pm
Look here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
Walter, roger, thanks!

I'm now here with my mother and just asked her if she applied for our ss#s all at once - she thinks she did. But, the regional thing makes more sense.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 09:42 pm
Thanks, Roger and Walter!
0 Replies

LeilaJoy

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 12:18 am
I'm not sure how it work in the states but up here in canada it goes in a continuous number order so some years the number goes faster then other years. For instance my husband and I have the same numbers at the beginning of our social insurance cards,

So for instance our numbers might be

222 544 663
222 953 210

which would indicate that 408 547 people received their social insurance number within in the time that my husband applied for his card and that I applied for mine.

hope that this helps!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 07:33 pm
Thanks LeilaJoy! I'm finding that there are as many ways to make SSNs as there are SSN issuers.
0 Replies