What is my "scratch disk" and why is it full?

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:49 pm
I can't even get photoshop to open and that is a complete disaster!

Please help the idiot girl!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,365 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:53 pm
Space dedicated on a hard drive for temporary storage of data. Scratch disks are commonly used in graphic design programs, such as Adobe Photoshop. Scratch disk space is only for temporary storage and cannot be used for permanently backing up files.

Scratch disks can be set to erase all data at regular intervals so that the disk space is left free for future use. The management of scratch disk space is typically dynamic, occurring when needed.

Webopedia
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:57 pm
Is there some way that I can manually clear it?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 06:49 pm
The scratch disk uses the clear space on your hard drive. If your hard drive is full then you don't have any space for a scratch disk. You can create space by getting rid of some of the large graphic files on your drive. If you are using 10 gig files you probably need at least 30 gig on your drive for for some functions.

Photoshop allows you to set which drive or multiple drives to use for scratch disks. If you have more than one drive just make sure both are being used for scratch disks. I know you can use external drives for scratch disk on a mac. You probably can on a PC too.

Photoshop is a memory hog. You pretty much want at least as much memory as the largest files you are working with if not double the file size. If the program is using the scratch disk a lot you should consider gettting more RAM, as much as you can put on your machine. Is it mac or PC? Check the specs on what kind of ram to use.

Another trick to reduce the amount of scratch disk needed is to check the number of undos you keep. Each undo takes up memory.

It's funny you should ask this today. The new guy at work was getting a "scratch disk full" message and needed the same help. In that case it was easy. Photoshop wasn't set up to use the empty 200gig drive as a scratch disk. Hopefully your fix will be as simple. If it was working and isn't now I suggest clearing up space on your hard drive by writing files to CD. That will get you back up running without new hardware but you might want to invest $100-200 in a larger hard drive.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 01:39 pm
I wonder who makes up all these names, like Scratch Disk.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 03:17 pm
bm

boom, you never fail to alarm me!!!!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 03:22 pm
Thanks parados!

I got the hard drive cleaned off enough to finally get photoshop open!

Then I was able to delete a lot of junk files and duplicate images. I downloaded the rest of them off to my photo lab so now I have space!

Hurrah!

I need to look into buying more memory, for sure.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 03:36 pm
More RAM, up to the max your system will support, always is a good idea. In your case, boomer, I'd suggest also investing in a high capacity, high performance external drive, and also would suggest you offload completed graphics projects from your machine onto removable media - DVD could be ideal for this, particularly Dual Layer DVD - on a regular basis.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 03:46 pm
Honestly, I need to look into getting a new computer.

I have some stuff in the works that looks like it could take off and I won't be able to deal with this type of disaster.

After my computer completely crashed about a year ago I've had off and on problems with it - I have not been able to get my CD burner even reinstalled but my lab burns them for me for next to nothing so I haven't been too worried about it.

I was sweating buckets!

If I were to start from scratch what would be "ideal" and how much would it cost? I already have the programs I would need. Any idea on what the latest/greatest would entail?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 04:54 pm
"Latest/Greatest"? Well, taking this calendar quarter as the defining period for "Latest", and assuming for "Greatest" that your interest lies primarily in the realm of personal computing, I'd say $8 or $10 Grand, U.S., oughtta get you into the neighborhood.

Seriously, though, I recommend you firm up your ideas of what it is you wish to accomplish with your new 'puter, determine what hardware and software accommodates your needs/wants, start looking at review websites, prioritize, and buy, custom order, or build a machine capable of somewhat more functionality than you think you need at the moment, with particular attention to the suitability of that machine as would regard a future upgrade path. Give yourself some room to grow, and your new machine some room to expand as you grow into and beyond its outset capabilities.

Addendum: Something around $1 Grand or so will buy a very capable, flexible, forward-compatible machine, with the edge going to full-sized desktops as opposed to other configurations in terms of "Bang for Buck" and upgrade path. Once you're out of drive bays and expansion slots, you're pretty much out of the upgrade game.

Second Addendum: I think every desktop I've owned has seen greater investment in upgrades over time than in original acquisition cost.
0 Replies