To train the eye

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:00 am
We all see things differently. We may look at an apple and there will be as many descriptions of it as there are eyes to see.

But..

What determines how we see something?

Do you think it is possible to train your eye to see beauty everywhere? I suppose that it is not really the eye I'm talking about so much as the thing behind it, but anyway. Do you?

I think this question is important for my well being, and although I have my own answer I am interested in hearing others. After all, I may be wrong.. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 536 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:03 am
I thought i was wrong once . . .

. . . then i check my data, and discovered that i wasn't.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:05 am
Curious. What data did you consult to think that you was wrong then?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:15 am
Re: To train the eye
Cyracuz wrote:
Do you think it is possible to train your eye to see beauty everywhere?

It is probably possible but not, in my opinion, desirable. In order to see something as beautiful it is often necessary to remove it from its immediate context, and I'm not sure that's always a good idea. I'm reminded of those romanticized monologues from American Beauty where Ricky is waxing poetic about how beauty can be found everywhere if you just look hard enough--"look closer" is the movie's tagline--and one of his examples is the frozen corpse of a homeless woman. And there's that look of awed reverence he gives as he's gazing at the bloody head of Kevin Spacey. To me, those are compelling illustrations that the search for beauty at all costs might not be the enlightening and liberating quest it is sometimes made to look like.
0 Replies