Why Da Vinci Code Scares Fundamentalists

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:32 am
Very good point MA

What I find interesting is that political differences can be discussed and sides taken without the same level of emotional involvement but religious differences are much more emotional/personal.

I've started a topic about it: Religion and Politics - why so different?

Please visit!

KP
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:36 am
"The Da Vinci Code" is fictional because historians of the time have layed down very little about whether Christ existed, let alone any details about his life. It's boils down to believing what writers nearly a hundred years later decided to put down on the page. Historians write their accounts as they happen and compile them into documentive works. The authors of the Bible did not state that it was fiction. A historic account of this magnitude would have been documented at least in as much detail as the basis for the Code's non-fiction basis. I'm aware that part of that was based on a document that has been touted as a forgery. In the end, it's questioning of the accuracy of the Bible that frightens fundamentalists.

The film's enourmous success will only frighten them more -- the more they write and talk about it, the more that will become apparant. It's now nearly at a half-a-billion dollars in ticket sales around the world and could overtake "The Slashin' of the Christ."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:39 am
Tin Sword Arthur,

I can only tell you what I think about this. I haven't really talked to many about it because like I said, I don't see it as a problem because it is fictional.

Believers believe that the Bible is the God-breathed and God-inspired Word of God and is infallible. The Bible does not say that Jesus was married and had a child with Mary Magdalene. In the Book of Revelation it says:

[quote]Revelation 22: ~

[18] For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

[19] And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.[/quote]

So, since the Bible does not say that Jesus was married and had a child, that would be adding to the Word of God. I hope that answers your question. If it doesn't, just let me know.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:44 am
It does, MA. The bible doesn't say he was, so he wasn't. Why was that so darned hard for anyone to put into words?
Thank you for answering me. I normally stay out of the religious debates but this question has bugged me for some time.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:46 am
Momma Angel wrote:
So, since the Bible does not say that Jesus was married and had a child, that would be adding to the Word of God. I hope that answers your question. If it doesn't, just let me know.

Yes, but the Bible doesn't say what exactly during Jesus' childhood, does it? It most certainly doesn't state at what age he was baptised by John. In fact, the account of Jesus' life is very disjointed and there are gaps in it, where one can conceivably say, "We don't know what happened to Jesus at that point in time. He may have married and have had children".

Furthermore, the Gospels are not the word of God. They are accounts of Jesus' life by human beings, made canon by the Church.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:49 am
Quote:
Revelation 22: ~

[18] For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

[19] And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

What you are showing us here is this God is as intolerant, murderous and bloodthirsty as the Old Testament God. He has all the evil faults as humans; jealousy, vengeance, evil temper, selfish and a very strong desire to kill anything that disagrees with him. Mind you not just kill but to make the person suffer in the most inhumane way.

Nice values to teach your children.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:55 am
Glad that helped Tin Arthur. Laughing

Lightwizard,

Why do you insist that it is fear? It is not fear (at least not in my case) on this particular issue. It is strictly because it goes against what the Bible says. Point blank, period. That is my only gripe about it.

Wolfie,

As a Christian, I do believe the Bible is the Word of God and He protects it. I also believe that what is in the Bible is what God decided as relevant and what isn't. If every single thing about Christ had been written down, I don't think we'd ever finish reading about it. What IS important and relevant is the message that the Bible conveys.

Xingu,

If one does not have an understanding of God as the Supreme Being and so holy that if you look upon His face you would die, of course you are going to feel the way you do. To our human minds, yes, it sounds pretty (insert whatever word you want here). But, God is so far above us in every respect that it is hard for some to not understand that this is righteous judgment.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:01 am
Quote:
But, God is so far above us in every respect that it is hard for some to not understand that this is righteous judgment.

Slaughtering innocent people is not righteous judgment. It is a human fault. Kill anything that resists you.

Like the pagan religions God of the Bible was given human characteristics; and not very nice ones either.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:03 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Wolfie,

As a Christian, I do believe the Bible is the Word of God and He protects it. I also believe that what is in the Bible is what God decided as relevant and what isn't. If every single thing about Christ had been written down, I don't think we'd ever finish reading about it. What IS important and relevant is the message that the Bible conveys.

And there you go. There is nothing in the Bible that states that Christ didn't marry and didn't have children.

And of course, historical records state otherwise to what you've said so far. It was Bishop Athanasius of Alexandria that established the 27 books of the New Testament as canon, not God and that was in 367AD.

If God had really been responsible, the 27 books would have been established as canon long before that.

Furthermore, the validity of James, Jude, Hebrews and Revelation have been questioned many times, especially by Martin Luther, without whom you would now be a Catholic.

The books are clearly synthetic, as in man-made. The historical records prove it is so.

If what you stated is correct, then that means Bishop Athanasius and those who canonised the 27 books instead of all the relevant books were guilty of going against God's wish.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:18 am
Tell me something Momma. When Paul wrote those letters that ended up in the Bible do you suppose when they were read for the very first time the readers loudely proclaimed;"Behold! This is not a letter from Paul but one from God's mouth."

Na, I don't think so. It was just another letter from the same type of religious fanatic we see today in the form of Falwell or Robertson.

BTW, where in the Bible does it say that anything in the New Testament is the word of God?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:19 am
Xingu,

Like I said, to the human mind you have that perspective. I trust in God completely and completely believe that He is just. You don't. That's ok with me.

Wolfie,

Are you saying there are historical records that say Christ was married and had a child? I don't want to address your post until I am sure I have the right understanding.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:21 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Wolfie,

Are you saying there are historical records that say Christ was married and had a child? I don't want to address your post until I am sure I have the right understanding.

Goodness, no. I'm merely injecting something into the discussion to make you think.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:25 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Wolfie and Bella Dea,

I think the problem with the Da Vinci Code is that IF Jesus was married and had a child that would in essence, prove the Bible to be incorrect and many Christians do get very upset when something contrary to the Word of God is being touted. I guess you could relate it somewhat to the Muslims being so angry about those cartoons. I know for myself that it has nothing to do with fear. I know the Da Vinci Code is fictional. I don't like the fact that the book says what it does but it doesn't mean that much to me. Some feel differently.

To those that are believers, our beliefs are sacred, and thus we don't feel they should be mocked. I do understand that there are those that do not believe and therefore; our beliefs mean nothing to them.

Which part Momma Angel??? here is where i must disagree with you. I find no place that Jesus being Married would be sinful.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:33 am
Filling in gaps in the life of Christ as "documented" by the Bible is not going against anything. It's an individual's characterization of such questions, MA's being the absolutism of the fundamentalist born-again Christian. They are made fearful to question the validity of the Bible by the clergy. They will go to hell if they question it. Brainwashing comes to mind here.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:37 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Filling in gaps in the life of Christ as "documented" by the Bible is not going against anything. It's an individual's characterization of such questions, MA's being the absolutism of the fundamentalist born-again Christian. They are made fearful to question the validity of the Bible by the clergy. They will go to hell if they question it. Brainwashing comes to mind here.

True christianity is not brain washing my friend.
True Chirstianity is the hardest thing in the world to accept into your heart.
Why
Cause we are all at war with God
Our natures do not want to do as he says.
We fight
We Struggle
We Make Excuses
We Make up fake Sciences.
We Make up fake Religions, all to keep from doing God's will.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:39 am
Scott777ab wrote:
True christianity is not brain washing my friend.
True Chirstianity is the hardest thing in the world to accept into your heart.
Why
Cause we are all at war with God
Our natures do not want to do as he says.
We fight
We Struggle
We Make Excuses
We Make up fake Sciences.
We Make up fake Religions, all to keep from doing God's will.

Alternatively, we make up God to answer any questions we don't understand and thus give our lives artificial meaning.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:48 am
Momma Angel wrote:
What IS important and relevant is the message that the Bible conveys.

Thank you! And what does him having kids have to do with what message the bible conveys? Nothing. Except love. And tolerance. And patience. So him having kids wouldn't upset the message of the bible.

Because it never said "And then Jesus stopped to urinate." doesn't mean he didn't pee.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:49 am
Scott777ab wrote:

Which part Momma Angel??? here is where i must disagree with you. I find no place that Jesus being Married would be sinful.

Why?

Is being married a sin now? Is having kids a sin?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:49 am
Does the Bible say whether Jesus was or was not married. Is Jesus' unmarried state assumed because nothing was said in the Bible about him being married?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:50 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
What IS important and relevant is the message that the Bible conveys.

Thank you! And what does him having kids have to do with what message the bible conveys? Nothing. Except love. And tolerance. And patience. So him having kids wouldn't upset the message of the bible.

Because it never said "And then Jesus stopped to urinate." doesn't mean he didn't pee.

Sorry...I meant to add "So him having kids wouldn't upset the message of the bible. It would define it."
0 Replies