Screenshots from DOS with normal colours?

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 09:23 am
WIN XP, fullscreen DOS mode. The colours are completely nuts and no program I could find was able to take nice ones... Is there any way to deal with the problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,552 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Monger

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 09:37 am
I don't use WinXP much & I never use print screen on command prompt windows, but what colors are supposed to be showing? Are you after just plain black & white? Couldn't you just convert your mutant colors to b&w or whatever in an image editing program?
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 03:00 am
I just tried a DOS window screenshot on my Win XP Pro system using the PrintScreen keyboard button and it works fine. If you are using the built in PrintScreen function, what program are you pasting the image into? Perhaps the program you're using isn't resolving the image correctly. In my test I used Word and the colors looked fine.

Another screenshot program I use ( and love ) is SnagIt which you can learn about here:

http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp

It gives far more control over the image capturing process than the resident Windows system.
0 Replies

chevalier

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:55 am
The problem is it's not a window, but a full-screen program. It does copy the screen to memory, but the colour palette is beyong my understanding - there's nothing I could think of to revert the change Sad
0 Replies

dantebk

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:57 am
Bump!

I'm having the same problem. Except the program I'm trying to take a picture of is a Windows program (from 1997).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/dantebk/Duckman005.png

The above is what it looks like when I use Gadwin Printscreen

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/dantebk/Duckman9.gif

And this dark one is if I use standard ALT-Print Screen and paste into Paint.

Please help! I'm going crazy!
0 Replies

dantebk

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 11:48 am
Never mind. Fixed it.

If anyone else ever has this problem, I solved it using a different Screenshot program called HyperSnap 6. It costs like $35, but has a 20 day free trial. But it doesn't work for DOS games, so unless you need a lot of Windows 95 era screenshots, 20 days should be enough.

EDIT: If you DO need screenshots of DOS games, use DOSBox. It's a free DOS emulator that has a built-in screenshot function and works well.
0 Replies