Officers caught on tape torturing suspect for search consent

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 12:04 pm
The audio clip is the most chilling thing I've ever heard. It's absolutely incredible. They get started around 4 minutes in.

Click here for direct link to audio recording

Quote:
When Tennessee law enforcement officials showed up at the home of Lester Siler, who they suspected of drug use, they asked Lester's wife and son to leave. They didn't know that Lester's wife had turned on a tape recorder in the kitchen. When Lester exercised his constitutional right not to sign a consent to search his house, these officers spent the next two hours torturing him. They beat him with bats and guns, held loaded guns to his head, threatened to shoot him, dunked his head in the toilet, burned him with lighters, attached his testicles to a battery charger, threatened to cut off his fingers, and threatened to "go get" his wife and take his child away from him. Then they arrested him for "evading arrest". It wasn't until the wife's recording made it to the FBI that all hell broke loose. And go figure, even though these officers have been convicted in federal court, not one national media outlet gave this story the coverage it deserved. But that's okay. At the time, reporters were busy decrying the immorality of Janet Jackson's Superbowl nipple! These are the same "journalists" who refused to cover the United States Government's secretive medical marijuana program.

I'm warning you now, this is the most disturbing recording I've ever heard in my life. But people need to know about this. Our war on drugs is a failure, and the national media is following a code of silence on related humans rights abuses.

The link at the top will open the actual audio recording of the torture (some people have to copy and paste the link into thir browser to activate the link). And a web search for "Lester Siler" will give you access to further local and blog coverage of this story.

Link to article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 792 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 12:32 pm
That's very disturbing. I wish I knew more about the source organization to which you linked, though. It sounds almost too bizarre to be believable. Not that the cops did it, that's beieveable all right. But it's hardly credible that not a single "mainstream" news organization picked up on it after the FBI was brought in. There has to be more to the story than that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 12:53 pm
I won't listen to the tape, but I get the "drift" by reading the story. IMO, this was the story of a number of rogue cops, who ended up getting their just desserts. Yeah, it is disgusting, but I think that we all need to keep this story in perspective. The cops in question were fired, in addition to serving jail time.

Quote:
David Webber was sentenced to 57 months in jail; Samuel Franklin and Shayne Green received sentences of four and a-half years each, while William Carroll will spend four years and three months behind bars.

http://www.wbir.com/printfullstory.aspx?storyid=27204
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 03:32 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
That's very disturbing. I wish I knew more about the source organization to which you linked, though. It sounds almost too bizarre to be believable. Not that the cops did it, that's beieveable all right. But it's hardly credible that not a single "mainstream" news organization picked up on it after the FBI was brought in. There has to be more to the story than that.

I thought the same thing. Here is a mainstream news source link about it:

Knoxville news (click)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 03:50 pm
I wonder how often this kind of thing happens... I'm supposing most criminals' wives dont have a cassette recorder at the ready. Top of the iceberg, then?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 04:02 pm
I strongly suspect it is just the tip of the iceberg, nimh. Remember the Rodney King incident in 1991 which set off large scale rioting in Los Angeles when the accused police officers were acquited? There, again, the cops overstepped their bounds because they didn't know that a neighbor with a videocam was taping them. The problem is that, absent the kind of evidence provided by recordings, it's very hard to bring charges against police. It's the suspect's word against theirs and most people will believe a police officer before they believe a drug dealer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 04:05 pm
Most people will not report police violence in fear of retribution, so it can be safely assumed that not many people victimized will not report it. That somebody had a tape to show the DA and other law-enforcement personnel, he might have half a chance of getting justice.

Not good.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 04:16 pm
Where's Brandon to shed some light on this subject and defend these gallant law enforcement officers? Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 05:01 pm
Sounds like South central L.A. in the 80's. I listened to the whole thing. I've read alot of torture testimonials but i've never heard one. Once you have read so much about these things (and seen them) it becomes old hat. Another torture case another innocent death. It's one in millions.

Did anybody hear that cop joke when he said "Wheres the camera at?"

It's a tape pig. Their rich!!!!

-----------------------

October 12, 1996 Javier Francisco Ovando, 19 years old, was walking down the hallway of an apartment building in the Pico-Union when two cops, Rafael Perez and Nino Durden, stopped him. They forced him to his knees, handcuffed him and shot him in the face. Ovando slumped to the floor. The cops took off the handcuffs and planted a rifle in his hands. Ovando lived--but he is paralyzed and will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. link

----------------------

The story told by the officer was nothing new to the homeboys on the streets of Pico Union, East LA and South Central. But it stunned those citizens who, relying on television images of the "thin blue line" defending middle-class civilization, had blindly supported CRASH since its inception in 1979. Perez revealed that he and his partner shot an alleged teenage gang member, Javier Francisco Ovando, in the head, planted a gun on his body, then arrested him for threatening to kill them. When Perez's story checked out, the wheelchair-bound Ovando was released, but that was only the beginning. It turned out that CRASH units engaged in self-recruitment like armed fraternities, "jumped in" (hazed) their own members and engaged in shooting, beating, framing, planting false evidence and turning immigrants over to the INS for immediate deportation and held awards parties at the police academy afterward. Like Ovando, some of these CRASH targets were never convicted of a crime. More than 3,000 convictions have been tainted by the dubious testimony of crooked cops, and the projected cost of lawsuits to the city is at least $200 million.Link
0 Replies