Fla. angler lands what may be record shark

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:43 pm
Fla. angler lands what may be record shark
1 hour, 6 minutes ago

BOCA GRANDE, Fla. - Fishing Capt. Bucky Dennis has been trying to catch a record hammerhead shark for 10 years. He may have finally succeeded.

On Tuesday, he reeled in a monstrous 1,280-pounder that ate a 25-pound stingray for bait at Boca Grande Pass near Fort Myers. That would beat by nearly 300 pounds the current all-tackle world record for a hammerhead shark.

Dennis, who was using 130-pound test line, and three friends fought the 14 1/2 foot shark for five hours and it dragged his boat about 12 miles offshore before they got it aboard.

"It's fun hooking them, but if you get too close, they will bite," Dennis said. "And whatever they bite, they will bite off."

The current all-tackle world record hammerhead is 991 pounds, caught May 30, 1982, by Allen Ogle of Punta Gorda, according to the International Game Fish Association. The organization is reviewing the latest catch to determine if it qualifies as the new record, a process that will take about 60 days.

The Port Charlotte fishing captain donated the big fish to the Center for Shark Research at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, which plans to have it mounted and displayed. Center director Robert Hueter said researchers prefer that people tag and release large sharks because they help sustain the species.

"But we are grateful that this animal has been donated to science. It will help us understand more about these animals," Hueter said.

The largest shark ever hooked was a 2,664-pound great white caught off the southern coast of Australia in 1959.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 834 • Replies: 7
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 10:17 pm
You shoulda seen the one that got away!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:27 am
So they stuff it and mount it so they can study it? as what? a decoration in a Red Lobster?

Logic escapes me, we have a dwindling shark population, so here We catch one and then kill it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:32 am
I saw that, Bob, and I agree with farmer. What is the point?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:47 am
I suspect it was already dead. If so, the number of hammerhead sharks examined at that size has been a sum total of zero.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:30 am
Um...let me get this straight Bob. They spent 5 hours trying to reel in a DEAD SHARK??? I may be wrong but...I don't think so.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:10 am
Certainly they didn't hook and reel in a dead shark. Let's examine the probability of having a waiting tank for a fish weighing over half a ton. Unlikely jumps into my mind. If not the fish certainly died after being brought on board.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:58 pm
Which simply confirms Farmerman's and Letty's objections that they catch one then kill it for no good reason other than to be a trophy display.
0 Replies