Jack Abramoff Orthodox Jew

gollum

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 07:17 pm
I understand that Jack Abramoff is an Orthodox Jew.

I also understand that he pleaded guilty to three felony counts of mail fraud, tax evasion, and conspiracy.

My question is how can one person be both? Is the Orthodox Jew just for appearances?

Does he believe in contradictory things simultaneously?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,007 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 07:46 pm
What? Was he supposed to confess being a Jew?

Note to all the mythic believers: the magic only goes so far, it's you who finally figure out how to be really human.

Joe(no skyhooks)Nation
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:56 am
Maybe it is a cover for illegal activities.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 04:42 am
There are crooks and nogoods amongst all religious groups. Why do you think that being an Orthodox Jew would exempt him?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:22 pm
Sure he can be both, so long as he didn't commit mail fraud on the Shabbos.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:36 pm
jespah wrote:
Sure he can be both, so long as he didn't commit mail fraud on the Shabbos.

Or evade or conspire.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:37 am
A person can call oneself whatever they want.
A person can also aspire to keep certain tenets of any religion or philosophy and not do so.
One of the most severe sins in Judaism is "lashon hora," literally translated as the "evil tongue." This means gossip; talking about someone behind their back; or even simply saying things about a person that are not specifically useful.
There are all sorts of "hideous punishments" for those who speak loshen hora. It is said that the 2nd Temple was destroyed for the sin of Loshen Hora by the Jewish nation.
Yet, unfortunately, most Jews do "talk about other people" in ways that they should not - all the time.
Mr. Abramoff obviously deluded himself as regards to his behavior and the tenets of his religion. Nonetheless, his bad behavior (that he was convicted for) was relatively mild compared to other, more insidious behaviors, that Jews (and people in general) practice every day - that threaten the stability and survival of all of mankind....
Just a thought...
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 02:20 pm
Moishe3rd-
You are probably right. But you say that he obviously deluded himself.

Another possibility is that his religosity was an act used only to delude others.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:10 pm
gollum wrote:
Moishe3rd-
You are probably right. But you say that he obviously deluded himself.

Another possibility is that his religosity was an act used only to delude others.

Unfortunately, I suspect not. I would rather it had been an act than to have him sincerely believe that he was a Torah observant Jew. But, all evidence points to that being the case.
(Which makes sense, if you think about it. There is not a lot of mileage to be gained by pretending you're a Jewish anything. I mean, it just doesn't gain friends and influence people - particularly, in this case, American Indians...)
0 Replies