Options for new computer

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 12:58 pm
I am in the market for a new computer. Definitely.

However, I want an HP - my first computer was an HP, and so is my current one, and I'm very satisfied with the brand - but the list of options is totally frightening.

I'm not into games other than simple desktop stuff - no "Warkill III: The Horror" sort of thing. I want to be able to burn CDs and DVDs, I want decent audio (although I may have to spring for non-HP speakers). I want a lot of storage for photos, fast speed, 3 or 4 GB of RAM, and 250 GB or more on the hard drive.

I don't need a new keyboard, monitor or mouse, but I do want lots of extra ports.

So you would think I know exactly what I want, but no - there are too many choices within each of these areas and I have no idea which features are compatible with which others.

Final point: I can't get out to a store; this has to be done on the Internet. So I really have to know what I'm doing.

Guidance greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 463 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 03:59 pm
Options for new computer
I have just found that HP recommends a configuration that is almost exactly what I had in mind, so I think I'll go for that. There are a few items I don't want (my monitor is very new, and I can live very well without Norton or MacAfee) so I've inquired about the effect omitting those would have on the price.

On the other hand, there are a couple of features I want that aren't included, so it may well even out.

I'm waiting to hear from HP, but would still be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

BTW. I was glad to find out that even though the model I have in mind is more powerful than my current computer, it is also significantly smaller in every dimension. So I wouldn't have this baby elephant taking up desk space. I hadn't expected such a difference in size!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 04:00 pm
First, you're gonna find a machine capable of supporting more than 2 Gigs of RAM in the the price range of a reasonabley young, nicely equipped used car. That outta the way, if you're happy with and confident of HP product, and you intend to do your shopping on the 'net, their website is the place to go. They offer a decent "Buying Tips" page HERE.

Something else to bear in mind is the impending arrival of Windows Vista, the operating system slated to succeed Windows XP in Q1 '07. Essentially, the basic requirements for Vista include a processor of at least 1Ghz, a minimum of 512MB of RAM, a multi-channel audio solution, and a video solution having - or sharing - at least 128MB of RAM.

For general basics, I'd say you'll want an optical drive capable of writing to multi-format, multi-layer DVDs, support for USB 2.0 and FireWire, a networking solution, and direct digital monitor output (either DVI or the newer, somewhat more capable HDMI), and perhaps a built-in multi-format flash card reader. You should also try to see to it whatever machine you get - assuming it will be a desktop - will have expansion capabilties; at least one open bay and at least a couple open PCI (or better yet, PCI Express) slots. If you go with a laptop, think forward, and get more machine by a good margin than you think you need right now, as the upgrade path for laptops is limited.

Pre-purchase live chat and sometimes even phone help will be available at the website of just about any major computer vendor ...use it. And while you're on the vendor's website, take a look at their closeouts/returns/refurbished units - often catalogued in something titled along the lines of "Outlet Store" - if you know what you want, and why. While such offerings rarely are "Latest/Greatest", they're generally current or very recent production, with full as-new factory warranty, and there are bargains to be had if you look for them.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 10:43 am
Options for new computer
Thanks, Timber. I've printed out your advice and will be paying great attention to it.

I believe all new HP computers are Vista capable, BTW.

I have a couple of questions. First, What is "optical drive"? Is this something new since I was last in the market for a computer (5 years ago)? Next, what is "digital monitor output"? I have a year-old ViewSonic to which I'm strongly attached, and don't plan on a new monitor for years yet. Is this a problem?

I'm not thinking laptop, I'm definitely in need of a PC, for any number of reasons, including more capabilities, power, etc.

I have a nice little flash card reader, handles several (but not 9) types; I only use it for my camera, anyway, and have no future plans for its use. The HP configuration I have in mind - if not the HP recommended one - has the option of 9 types of card reading, or more USB 2 and Firewire slots. I'd go for the extra slots.

I don't plan to go the refurbished route, I want something brand new, so I know where I stand if anything goes funny.

Maybe I'll have more questions, but I'll keep you posted.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 12:18 pm
Just about any current-production major brand computer will be "Vista Capable", in fact most machines from the Pentium III era onward should make the cut, though with some impairment, reduction, or unavailability of more advanced features and functions. I have a current Beta of Vista running just fine on a late '90s vintage PIII 550, 384MB PC100 RAM, 20GB 4500RPM Hard Drive - it chokes on a few things, and won't even do a couple, but it functions adequately for just about anything most folks would want a computer to do.

An optical drive is one which accommodates DVDs and/or CDs - at a minimum, machines for many years now generally have incorporated at least one optical drive, most typically capable of writing/re-writing ("burning") to CDs, with DVD write/re-write capability becoming more and more common. Among writable DVD media, there are numerous formats; DVD RAM (not too common), DVD+, DVD-, Dual-Layer DVD, and the newer, not-yet-common-but-coming-on-strong BlueRay. I suggest strongly you get at least DVD+/- (or "Dual Format"), Dual Layer technology (HP machines are available with burners having a feature called "LightScribe", which permits directly burning a label onto specifically capable disks - personally, I usually go the old "Magic Marker" route, or, more rarely, label-making software, commercial forms, and a printer, when I remember to label anything). I agree with your leaning toward more USB & FireWire ports as opposed to an inbuilt multi-format card reader if it comes to choosing between those options; outboard card readers are cheap and common.

Finally, new or Vendor's Outlet (refurbished/remanufactured, "Refurb" or "ReMan") is a personal preference. Something to consider is that new machines generally are subject to statistical, not individual, quality control - test samples are pulled from the production line at certain intervals and it is assumed all product built between 2 sample products which test acceptably will be likewise acceptable - whereas, given that the vendor really doesn't want to see a returned product, legally ineligible for sale as "New", come back again, outlet machines generally are fairly rigorously checked out on an individual basis before release to market; cosmetic flaws may be permitted, but full functionality usually will be verified and the machines typically will carry full as-new warranty and qualify for whatever extra-cost warranty extensions/enhancements the vendor provides regular new retail product. The purchaser of such a product "stands" exactly where the purchaser of a "new-in-original-sealed-packaging" product stands when it comes to warranty and post-sale support. "Outlet Machines", Refurbs/ReMans, offer something to think about, anyhow; if I was looking for a vendor-built machine and came across an outlet machine that met my requirements I'd have no hesitation, particularly in a situation offering considerble cost differential.
0 Replies