Badges for Jews and Christians in Iran

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:55 am
Check this out:

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=11fbf4a8-282a-4d18-954f-546709b1240f&k=32073

This appears to be a done deal in Iran and I would assume would become pretty much normal for Christians and Jews in places like Holland and Sweden when those countries are put under sharia law ten or fifteen years from now.

That is, unless the United States and Israel manage to put a stop to this horror story fairly soon. I mean, I hope they're not waiting for MY permission; they've GOT it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,466 • Replies: 27
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:11 am
This is very similar to the RealID act passed in the US.

I agree that both of these things are bad.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:21 am
This story with the identical link, was posted at another site which i frequent. One of the members there pointed out that the story does not appear at CNN, MSNBC, BBC, and several other news organizations which he mentioned. The true source is Conrad Black's National Post, a newspaper which is considerably to the right of the political spectrum.

I don't deny that it is true, but i'm not prepared to believe it if The National Post is the only source, as it currently appears.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:48 am
The Simon Wiesenthal Center's Iran Watch pages have no mention of this story.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:50 am
Badges would stink!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 12:36 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Badges would stink!

VERY alarming if it's true. Let's see. Gunga, don't launch the nukes just yet.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 01:12 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Badges would stink!

VERY alarming if it's true. Let's see. Gunga, don't launch the nukes just yet.

I say we don't need 'em.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 01:26 pm
I've been trying to find a source that doesn't track back to the National Post since earlier today.

It's a ghastly thought that it could be true - but I don't trust the National Post for anything past their lost mitten registry.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 01:40 pm
Dang! We got red.
I wonder if the Zoroastrians would trade for blue?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 05:15 pm
Jerusalem Post:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1145961377561&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 06:58 pm
The Anti-Defamation League, no freind of Iran, has this to say:

Quote:
ADL Statement on Unconfirmed Reports of Iranian 'Dress Code'
New York, NY, May 19, 2006 … The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today issued the following statement in response to unconfirmed reports that the Iranian parliament may be considering a "dress code" bill that would include badges or other identifying marks for non-Muslims:

While it is factual that the Iranian parliament is considering some kind of dress code, there is no evidence of any discussion or legislation concerning badges or the like for Jews and others. Clearly, dress codes imposed by a government on a people are one more example of the backwardness of the regime, and would be unhealthy for all groups, including minorities. How this could affect Jews, Christians and other minorities is not immediately known.

We will continue to monitor the situation in Iran as this story develops and will make further comment when more information about the proposed Iranian law comes to light.

The American Jewish Committee has this to say:

Quote:
AJC Watching Iran Actions against Jewish Minority

May 19, 2006 - Washington - The American Jewish Committee issued the following statement regarding a reported Iranian law requiring Jews and other non-Muslims to wear identifying badges:

In the course of the day today, reports have raced across the Internet on a law said to have been passed by the Iranian Parliament this week imposing a form of national dress code in Iran and requiring that Jews and other non-Muslims wear identifying badges or strips of colored cloth. The story appears to have originated in the National Post of Canada.

If true, the story, with its chilling echoes of the Shoah, is another heinous example of the Iranian regime's contempt for human rights and norms of civilized behavior.

Throughout the day, AJC has been in touch with Iranian Jewish contacts, and with U.S. officials, as well as with contacts in Canada, to flesh out the story, so that our responses have the firmest possible factual base.

As of now, while our intensive inquiries continue, the report is unconfirmed.

Yehudit Barsky, director of AJC's division on Middle East and International Terrorism, who remains in regular contact with the 25,000-strong Iranian Jewish community, reports:

"We have been making inquiries with our contacts in the Iranian Jewish community regarding today's reports that the Iranian Majlis (Parliament) has passed a law instituting the requirement that Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians will be required to wear badges or distinctive dress identifying them according to their religious affiliation.

"There was passage of a law instating uniform Islamic dress for Muslims in Iran on May 14, but there was no mention of what Jews and other religious minorities would wear. Maurice Motamed, the Iranian Jewish representative to the Majlis, has denied these reports. At the present time we are not able to confirm that Jews are required to wear a badge or other distinctive dress."

Separately, an Iranian American group reported today that its own contacts in Iran, including a former head of the Iranian Jewish community, maintain that the press report is false. The U.S. State Department and Canadian Foreign Affairs Ministry (which has an embassy in Tehran) have told AJC they have no information on the story, and are checking. The White House tells AJC its information on a proposed "dress code" law includes no reference to Iran's Jewish minority.
(Emphasis in original)

The Guardian (UK) has this to say:

Quote:
Iranian Lawmakers Debate Women's Clothing

Friday May 19, 2006 11:16 PM

By TAREK AL-ISSAWI

Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran's conservative-dominated parliament is debating a draft law that would discourage women from wearing Western clothing, increase taxes on imported clothes and fund an advertising campaign to encourage citizens to wear Islamic-style garments.

A draft received preliminary approval Sunday and lawmakers debated it this week, but the parliament has not passed the bill. If adopted, the measure would require approval by the Guardian Council, a constitutional watchdog.

The measure has provoked concern outside Iran after a Canadian newspaper reported it included provisions that would require Jews, Christians, Zoroastrians and other non-Muslims to wear a patch of colored cloth on the front of their garments.

The National Post, quoting ``Iranian expatriates living in Canada,'' said the law would require ``Iran's roughly 25,000 Jews...to sew a yellow strip of cloth on the front of their clothes, while Christians would wear red badges and Zoroastrians would be forced to wear blue cloth.''

In Tehran, legislator Emad Afroogh, who sponsored the bill and chairs the parliament's cultural committee, told The Associated Press on Friday there was no truth to the Canadian newspaper report.

``It's a sheer lie. The rumors about this are worthless,'' he said.

Afroogh said the bill seeks only to make women dress more conservatively and avoid Western fashions.

``The bill is not related to minorities. It is only about clothing,'' he said. ``Please tell them (in the West) to check the details of the bill. There is no mention of religious minorities and their clothing in the bill,'' he said.

Iranian Jewish lawmaker Morris Motamed told the AP: ``Such a plan has never been proposed or discussed in parliament. Such news, which appeared abroad, is an insult to religious minorities here.''

At Iran's mission to the United Nations, a diplomat, speaking anonymously because he was not allowed to make official statements, called the report ``completely false.''

``We reject that. It is not true. The minorities in Iran are completely free and are represented in the Iranian parliament,'' the diplomat said.

According to the bill, a joint committee of the parliament and Cabinet ministers will decide on the tax increase on imported clothes and other details.

``Promotion of Western and spontaneous styles has become a cultural problem in major cities. It needs national attention,'' Mahmoud Hosseini, spokesman of the cultural committee in the Majlis, or parliament, has said in comments broadcast live on state radio.

According to existing law, women must cover from head to toe, but many young women, buoyed by social freedoms granted to them during the 1997-2005 rule of former President Mohammad Khatami, ignore the law.

Since conservatives regained control of Iran's most powerful institutions, there have been increasing calls to implement strict Islamic laws that were largely ignored in the past.

Iran's Islamic law imposes tight restrictions on women. They need a male guardian's permission to work or travel. They are not allowed to become judges, and a man's court testimony is considered twice as important as a woman's.

Despite such restrictions, Iranian women have more rights than their counterparts in Saudi Arabia and some other conservative Muslim countries. They can drive, vote and run for office.

The State Department said Friday it was concerned about the reports on a special clothing rule for Iranian minorities.

Spokesman Sean McCormack said such a measure would be ``despicable'' and carry ``clear echoes of Germany under Hitler.''

McCormack said he could not comment further because the precise nature of the proposal was unclear.

CBS News has this to say:

Quote:
Iran Story Stirs Things Up

Here we go. The National Post in Canada has published a story claiming that the Iranian parliament has passed a law "that would require the country's Jews and Christians to wear coloured badges to identify them and other religious minorities as non-Muslims." The story is sourced to "Iranian expatriates living in Canada."

So far, at least MSNBC and Fox News Channel have mentioned the story, and it has been the dominant story of the day in the blogosphere. Right now, mid-afternoon, many news outlets are in a scramble to find out if it is true. The Iranian embassy has denied it, and Mohammad Mohammadi, press officer at the Iranian mission to United Nations, told CBS News Radio the story is "completely untrue."

The Drudge Report has had a link to the story at the top of its page all day. CBSNews.com has not mentioned it. "It's potentially an explosive story but we won't touch it until we have some sort of concrete confirmation, and we haven't come close to that," says Dan Collins, senior producer for CBSNews.com.

CBS News Radio has also decided against running the story, according to Exective Producer Charlie Kaye. "There are too many red flags here," he says. "The best we can determine is this has originated with Iranian dissidents in Canada. We have spoken to a CBS News correspondent just back from Iran and her producer, we've spoken to the Iranian mission to the UN, we've spoken to our State Department Reporter Charlie Wolfson, and at this point we're not comfortable putting it on the radio." The story has run on WCBS 880 local radio news here in New York, however.

Stay tuned.

Clicking the link to the original story brings you to this page:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8329/badges8ur.jpg

Apparently what we have here is a story circulated by Iranian expatriates living in Canada, a report which was published by one newspaper, from whence it has been embraced breathlessly by the blogosphere, but which, despite the fierce competition to break real news, lacks any confirmation whatsoever, and which has been retracted by the original publication source.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:02 pm
gunga it looks like your dreams of watching a genocide from a safe place at your comfortable chair are fading fast. Have a glass of warm milk.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:07 pm
Once again, the National Post proves it's barely capable of being fish and chips wrap.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:16 pm
Well, at least they had the decency to yank the story ... give 'em a little credit for that. As a fish'n'chips wrap, it's prolly just fine. BTW - I like mine with a nice, stout malt vinegar and a bit of salt, Mrs Timber prefers hers with balsamic vinegar - no accounting for taste, I s'pose.

I imagine The National Post would serve well as a birdcage or kitty-litter box liner, too; no sense wasting the trees that go into its production. Pity about the ink, though. Still, it provides jobs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:23 pm
The Post - with this story on the cover - was on the counter in the lunchroom at work - getting a lot of attention.

They can't retract it from all of the folks that read it, and don't realize it wasn't covered anywhere else. The physical retraction will be buried a mile inside [on an issue we won't see because it's a long weekend].

It's a trouble-making paper.

Oh well, every country has to have one, I guess.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:28 pm
The Post doesn't seem to be able to bring itself to a retraction ...

click ... maybe just a reiteration ...

and a qualification that what they're reiterating might not be true.

Yup - say it again, admit you can't prove it, say it again, and say no one can prove it didn't happen.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:46 pm
Far as I know, the jury is still out on this one.

One poster on FR notes:

Quote:

The story has been denied only by a low level staffer in the Iranian embassy in Canada and an Jewish Iranian MP who is Iran's equivalent of Iraq's Tariq Aziz. The Iranians are in spin control over the story....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 10:07 pm
Jury out? I dunno - I think it was disbanded before it convened - here's The National Post's Canada.com World News Front Page as of 23:00 CST - not one mention of Iran.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7872/natpostworldnews0ro.jpg

One way or another, some embarrassment will come of this, that's for sure.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 06:49 am
I say again, the jury is still out on this one. The only people denying the story are the Iranian government, and they deny the holocaust and the fact that they are building atomic bombs as well.

Moreover it's not just the one paper running versions of the story.

UPIs version of the story is here:

http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20060519-105912-5198r

and another version worth taking a look at is here:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3252830,00.html

The basic story is coming from Iranian expats living in Canada who presumably are hearing it from friends and relatives living in Iran.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 07:03 am
Experts? One is reminded of Chalabi and the Iraqi national congress, and the ubitquitous references to "Iraqi defectors" . . .
0 Replies