[answered] I AM SICK OF THE FART BUTTON ADVERTISMENT

dadpad

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:49 pm
I would like a response from admin on this (in the nicest possible way, possums)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:42 pm
dadpad wrote:
I would like a response from admin on this (in the nicest possible way, possums)

If you want an answer from the administrators you'll have to use the Contact Us link at the bottom of your screen, Dadpad (between Privacy Policy and Help) -- chances that they'll just happen to stroll past this thread aren't exactly foolproof.

(And then when you get an answer you can update this thread of course ;-))
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 11:44 pm
dadpad wrote:

Well, I did happen to come across this while looking for legitimate help needs on the forum so I'll take a stab at it.

dadpad wrote:
I know this forum is free and ads such as this help support the forum, so I really dont really have the right to complain about advertising which supports this service.

Is there any possibilty that this particular advertisment could be withdrawn from the rotation on the grounds that I find it offensive to have this advertisment flashing and pulsing.

Not merely on the grounds that you find it offensive, no. It's a significant amount of work to try to filter what obnoxious ads I already do, and I don't intend to add to my existing criteria for filtering any ad that any user might happen to find "offensive".

The ad serving here is governed by a very well-defined criteria and I don't personally think you have much to complain about. I filter many types of annoying advertising (such as pop-ups, pop-unders etc..) and think the ads around here are less anoying than the web average.

They certainly aren't as well filtered as I'd like, and the ad in question may get filtered with more agressive use of my existing rulesets (which filters the bulk of the annoying flashing ads) but becaue there are several hundred thousand ads available to the rotation of this site I have no plans to play DJ with the ad serving and respond to personal requests.

Users who most heavily frequent this site will tend to get lower-paying ads from the ad networks and they will often be mass-market and more annoying. I filter a very large amount to keep away thousand of flashing ads and such and in the future I plan to improve the ad serving that does get through if I can.

I will not, however, EVER take on the burden of making sure each ad is approved by everyone who decides they have a say in the matter.

At some point I will create the option to subscribe to a ad-free version of a2k and if you feel it's offensive enough to pay a few bucks a month to see no ads you will have the power to do so.

I tried providing this option earlier and closed the program because my solution on top of phpbb was not very clean. I'm making custom software now and will empower the user with more choices as the features are built.

Right now, the deal is that the site is free and the ads support it. Later there will be the option to pay for one's own use of the site and remove them.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:48 am
Thanks for the response craven, I'm particularily greatfull for fact that you are filtering many obnoxiouse ads.

I cn see how having to filter ads "just because someone finds them a bit offensive" would become a burden.

Generally I find the site claen and very easy to use and am greatfull for the time and effort you must put in to keep it so.

Regards dp.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:56 pm
For those of you who haven't caught my tip in regards to the ad talked about in this thread, pressing your "Esc" button will stop it from flashing.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 09:06 pm
Reyn wrote:
For those of you who haven't caught my tip in regards to the ad talked about in this thread, pressing your "Esc" button will stop it from flashing.

Thank you Reyn. My computer always ground to a halt when the Ask.com ad appeared in flash mode. I just did the escape thing and the ad stopped and my computer kept rolling along nicely.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 09:12 pm
Glad to be of help. Very Happy
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 09:27 pm
Um. It is an annoying ad. But. But, did any of yall hit the button? What happened?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:05 pm
Once upon a time, it would fart...then, if you hit the button a few times, take you to a scummy joke toolbar site.

Now it is silent, and just takes you to a scummy toolbar site.

Life is but slow entropy, and fraught with the inevitability of encroaching chaos.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:17 am
Reyn wrote:

Ha! It worked!

Thanks Reyn! Very Happy

... & I just stopped that silly Dada ringtone man from jiggling about by doing the same thing!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:27 am
(hitting the STOP button on you web browser also works...)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:34 am
I'm just thinking if and what all this has to do with the fact that it first was discovered downunder by some wabbit ...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 06:32 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'm just thinking if and what all this has to do with the fact that it first was discovered downunder by some wabbit ...

Er...it has become rampant and is extraordinarily annoying?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:47 pm
Indeed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 12:57 am
You say it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 01:42 am
Yer both dead.

And one of you is an ass, too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 01:47 am
Since I know both of us personally: might be, might be.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 06:26 am
dlowan wrote:

But think of it this way; the one that's an ass got a donkeyd!ck too..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 07:16 am
nimh wrote:
dlowan wrote:

But think of it this way; the one that's an ass got a donkeyd!ck too..

Thinking to self that Nimh needs to get laid.........hops off......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 10:04 am
I'll say it again - nimh's been fiesty!

When did the fart button advert start to strobe like that? It makes me want to run away - that can' be good advertisement!
0 Replies