Norton Protected Recycle Bin Is Acting Weird

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:12 pm
I have a Norton Protected Recycle Bin on my desktop. It always behaves properly, except for one thing. It changes logos. Every few days, I don't have my cute little trash basket, but the logo of one of my other programs. Today it's my Zone Alarm logo. Other days it is something else. Otherwise, it works properly.

Why is this happening?

Also I had mentioned on another thread that I got my A2K logo back...........spoke too soon. It's gone again, replaced with an Internet Explorer logo.

Bwaaaa Crying or Very sad Is there anything that I can do about this, or should I just ignore it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,747 • Replies: 10
No top replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 12:54 pm
I just did install my NSW 2003 about a week ago, so I
have yet to see if the "protected" wastebasket will
behave right or not. So far - it works like a dream. I
had no idea that the System Works would be such an
improvement over the basic antivirus program - but it
sure is. So far, I LOVE it! It sounds almost as if there
is something a little bit unstable on your computer,
for all these little changes to keep occuring. Isn't
running all the little fix-it programs supposed to stop
such things from happening?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 10:39 am
You can just ignore it if it's not too confusing for you. Thing is, Windows is glitching, not Norton SystemWorks. There's a little unsupported Microsoft program called Tweak UI that has a fix you can run whenever it happens. Here're the links:

Tweak UI 1.33 for Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, Me (After you install it, run Tweak UI from the Control Panel, then go to the 'repair' tab & click Rebuild Icons)

Tweak UI for Windows XP (I haven't used the XP version so I can't help you here)

Able2Know losing it's icon in your IE favorites list is an unrelated problem, as far as I know. From personal experiance Internet Explorer doesn't usually hang on to those custom icons in the favorites list for too long & will often revert back to the IE logo. Not much you can do about it. Other browsers don't show the custom icons anyway.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 10:44 am
Monger- Thanks for the Tweak UI link- I tried to access it a couple of years ago, and read somewhere that it was defunct.

Funny thing is, a few of my icons (one internet, two generated by me, )never revert, while the others.................
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 10:45 am
BTW, I wouldn't recommend Tweak UI for computer novices who're just hearing about it for the first time & don't need it to fix the problem Phoenix is having. Some of Tweak UI's more powerful features could seriously screw your computer over if you're not sure what you're doing.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 10:48 am
Phoenix, tweak UI still works just fine.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 10:56 am
Monger- Maybe you can figure this out. Every time that I check for Windows updates, this one comes up every time. I must have downloaded it over a dozen times, and the successful downloads are shown on my installation history. Have you ever heard of this happening?:
Quote:
Security Update, April 2, 2001

This update resolves the "Erroneous VeriSign-Issued Digital Certificates Pose Spoofing Hazard" security vulnerability, and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-017. Download now to prevent an unauthorized user from running code on your computer by digitally signing programs as "Microsoft Corporation."

VeriSign, Inc. issued two VeriSign digital certificates to an individual who fraudulently claimed to be a Microsoft employee; this allows the individual to sign programs, ActiveX® controls, Office macros, and other executable content as originating from "Microsoft Corporation." This update prevents the two erroneously signed certificates from being accepted as valid.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 11:08 am
Just don't add it to the list of updates you want to install, no?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 11:12 am
Monger- But why is it happening? For a long time I was on automatic update notification. Every once in awhile, I would get a message to update that particular fix. I got soo pissed off after awhile, that I disabled the automatic notification, and just check from time to time.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 12:09 pm
I guess it's not updating the registry or some other file somewhere letting Windows know it's got that one already. Computers tend to be good at finding little creative ways to bug the hell out of you like that. Thing is, I don't personally use Windows Update so I don't know much about it or where its info is stored in your 'puter.

Any takers on this one??
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 01:47 pm
Phoenix,

It's not standard behavior. I'm not familliar with that patch (but the bug it says it fixes is IMPORTANT) but most Windows updates can be uninstalled from the Add/Remove Programs control panel.
0 Replies