Computer sloth

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 05:39 pm
My computer has been running rather slow lately, and now it just crawls along. I thought it might be too many programs running in the background from the Startup menu, but Start>Programs>Startup lists only 8:

Microsoft Office
NkVwMon.exe*
Quicken Startup*
Picture Package Menu
Picture PAckage VCD Maker*
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
Yahoo Widget Engine

*These I can do without.

Items in the bottom right corner vary. Right now it shows

Zone Alarm
Volume
Safely Remove Hardware
COMCAST Support Agent
On AC power
Windows Messenger

but I know there are more that appear, such as Encarta.

I was used to removing items from the Startup menu in Windows ME, but can't figure it out with XP.

For example, I can remove the icon for a game, but it only removes the icon, presumably the program is still running merrily away in the background. There's a lot of stuff that I would like to stop running in the background, but how do I achieve this?

Thanks.

Confused Confused Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 590 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:01 pm
Tom kitten, I suggest a complete spywear/yuckwear scan
Follow the instructions in this thread.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54757

The program spybot search and destry has an option to examine startup programs
open the program
click on Mode (top left of screen)in the drop down menu bar
select advanced a dialog box warning will appear click yes
choices will appear at the lower left of screen
click on tools
click on system startup
follow the instructions provided. uncheck the box of programs you dont want
and try your system to ensure it works the way you want for a few days.
once you have decided you no longer need this program highlight it and click delete.

do all the spywear removal proceedures first.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:37 am
Don't go through the whole scan-and-clean proceedure yet, TK - lets try to take a quick look at what's actually going on with your machine first.

Download the latest version of HiJackThis, and be certain that it is installed to a folder of its own either in your Programs file or directly on your root drive (the drive on which Windows is installed, usually "Drive C:\"). If you have already installed HiJackThis, be certain its in its own correctly placed folder, not a user-specific, temporary or desktop folder (to place HJT in its own folder, open Windows Explorer - Windows key + E - locate and select your root drive, the drive on which Windows is installed, and open that folder, right-clicking anywhere in that folder's blank space, select "New">"Folder", name the new folder "HJT", then download and extract, or if you already have the latest version somewhere else move, HJT into that folder). Launch the application, then, from its splash screen, choose "Miscellaneous Tools", or from the main start page, select "Config", then select "Search for updates online", confirm, and be sure your's is the latest version. Don't run a scan or fix anything yet. When running HiJackThis to scan or fix things, run it from its own folder, WITH NO OTHER BROWSERS, WINDOWS, FILESHARING, EMAIL, OR MESSAGING APPLICATIONS OPEN OR RUNNING

Once you have downloaded and installed, HiJackThis, reboot normally, then locate and launch HJT before doing anything else. Have it generate a Startup List by going to the "Miscellaneous Tools" page, placing a checkmark in each of the 2 boxes next to the "Generate StartupList Log" button, then click the button and save the generated report. When that has completed, WITH NO OTHER BROWSERS, WINDOWS, FILESHARING, EMAIL, OR MESSAGING APPLICATIONS OPEN OR RUNNING, click the "Back" button, and have HiJackThis run a scan-and-save-log only - DO NOT "FIX" anything yet. When you have completed both scan-and-save operations, navigate back to this thread and post the 2 logs - the Startup Log and the HJT System Scan Log - and I'll take a look at 'em.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 09:44 am
Computer sloth
Okay, I'll go the HJT route first. It was helpful a couple of years ago, and I'll put my faith in it now.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 09:49 am
Prolly gonna be a bit more involved than just HJT, but seeing the logs should gimme something of an idea of what oughtta be done.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:01 pm
TomKitten - You have more problems with this computer!
0 Replies