How do you get a copy of something "certified"?

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:38 am
I know this is probably a stupid question and I did try to find the answer before posting but I didn't have any luck:

I need to present "certified copies" of several documents. I ordered one from vital statistics because I did not have an original. I do have the original of a couple of other documents - I can I go somewhere and have a certified copy made or can I only get a certified copy from the issuer?

Thank you for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,912 • Replies: 9
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:43 am
You could try a local Notary Public.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:52 am
A certified copy is a copy of the original made by the originator of the document. So if you want a certified copy of an insurance policy, you call your insurer, have them make a copy from the original policy that they have on file, stamp it "certified" and send it out to you/or the place you want it to go to. The reason it is called certified is that the insurance company is stating that it is a "true" copy that could not have been embellished in any way.

Some notaries can do this for you, but it depends on the document and where it originated from.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:54 am
Yes boomer, like Arthur said, a notary can certify your copies.
If you need it for the adoption, then it is sufficient (I needed to do
that as well with some documents).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 10:05 am
It's a pain and usually costs something outrageous. I think when I needed my certified birth certificate it was $25.

Which is not a lot but for a piece of paper with a seal? ugh.

I called the county clerks office for that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 10:11 am
Thanks!

I'll take the documents to my attorney's office next week and have notorized copies made. Easy!

I had to order my birth certificate - it cost $23. I hope it doesn't take long to get here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 11:05 am
Ack.

Notarization isn't necessarily the same thing as certification (laws differ among states). Contact the issuer of the document and ask. Your attorney's notary may or may not be able to do this but better safe than sorry.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 11:18 am
I don't remember what I paid, I was just grateful that I didn't need
to have my birth certificate translated into English.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 11:37 am
Okay!

I think I'll email my attorney and ask if they can do it and if they can't I'll know to contact the agency directly!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 12:11 pm
Turns out that you DO have to order it from the issuing agency. At least in Oregon, you do.

(I thought that since I just paid my attorney to answer that question that I'd pass the info along to others.)
0 Replies