What can we do?

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:28 am
We are the common people.We are called common because there is a flipping load of us, and as far as Ive heard there is strength in numbers.

With all the bad things going on in the world, can we use the sheer volume of us to change anything.

eg,if we refused to go to a war we considered illegal , what would happen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,034 • Replies: 10
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:31 am
They'd throw a bunch of us in the Federal Pen and the rest would cave.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:32 am
I thought as much.Id cave too, but what if we didnt.
Can you imagine a whole country being put in prison.How would the powers that be cope?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:33 am
It depends. If you are in the military, or they reinstate the draft, you could go to jail if you refuse. Or flee to a different country.
If you are a civilian, I have no idea what they could do to you.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:39 am
I have no great faith in the American people-- look who they elected to lead them (and who 32% apparently still blindly support, despite the evidence in front of them).

As far as a draft and an unpopular war, well we went through all that in the Sixties. It was sad and it was glorious, but they kept drafting folks right up to the end.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:19 am
Bush didnt have much competition from what I understand,Nobody favoured the other candidates.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:22 am
That's not really the case, but rather beside the point.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 12:07 pm
Well -I'm not an American but one look at Mrs Bush and one at Mrs Kerry and I know who I would have voted for.

MG-there will always be plenty who want to fight.
0 Replies

Armageddon

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 09:56 pm
Re
"Judge a man by the company he keeps"... moreso, the woman he weds.

It's called murder. Pull out a gun, and people get quiet. Or they get really really mad, charge the person with a gun, and the person with a gun panics and fires blindly until the mob of people not yet killed kill him in turn.

The government publicly removes the loudest opposers, and their followers dissipate. Or so advises Machiavelli.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:56 am
blacksmithn wrote:
That's not really the case, but rather beside the point.

Actually it is the case. Scowling John Kerry was not really a choice. Heck, even I have admitted (in a soft whisper) that if the Democrats had trotted Al Gore back out in '04 odds are that I would have voted for him. As it was, I had no choice but to vote George back in.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:58 am
spendius wrote:
Well -I'm not an American but one look at Mrs Bush and one at Mrs Kerry and I know who I would have voted for.

MG-there will always be plenty who want to fight.

If we had to pick by first lady and those were the only two choices.... well, I'd just castrate myself ya know?
0 Replies