Operating System Won't Start - PC Keeps Looping

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:58 am
I have a computer that is running a pre-installed XP Professional (I do not have the original installation disks).
I switched on my PC and instead of loading XP as usual, it presented with:

We apologise for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted ……… etc, etc.

It then gives the options of starting in
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known good configuration
Start windows normally

It doesn't matter which one I select, it just restarts again and I get the same screens. It just keeps going around in circles.
The same thing happens on the advanced menu options (F8).
When I hit delete for the setup, everything looks as it should.

There have not been any software or hardware changes.
I tried inserting an XP installation disk I have for a Dell PC in the CD-Rom drive and booting but it just ignored it.
I know the CD drive is working as I inserted an installation disk of a friend's and it came up with a warning that it can only be used on an Acer machine.

What do I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 762 • Replies: 3
No top replies

gbob

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:26 am
if you can borrow a win xp disc you should boot from the cd (u may need to promote the cd device in the boot list order) and run a repair on the xp installation, this will repair any files needed for a successful boot. You can also try to boot the machine with just the periphals essential for bootup i.e just the monitor, this will eliminate any usb or other devices being faulty and effecting bootup.
good luck
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:31 am
That happened to me about a month ago. Sometimes it would kick on, and other times it wouldn't.

I tried booting from Windows Prof. XP CD. Didn't work.

Ended up being that I needed a new mainboard. The original was about 4 years old.
0 Replies

veritygirl

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 02:45 pm
I managed to make an XP Boot disk which allowed me to progress to an "XP Repair Install". It went to the XP load up screen then said it was doing setup. I had a borrowed XP Installation disk that I used when prompted to insert the installation disk. It was progressing through all the steps (I was starting to breathe easy) when the following error popped up:

Fatal Error: An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
Press OK to view the setup log file.

The setup log shows:

Error SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "E\I386\ASMS\10100\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\DGIPLUS.MAN on Line 4

Error Installation Failed: E\I386\ASMS. Error Message: The system cannot find the file specified.

Fatal Error: One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. The system cannot find the specified file.

When I click on close it restarts, goes to the XP loading screen, says it is resuming setup and runs until it hits the above again. Still in a loop - just a different one now.

I read that I could workaround this problem by bring up a command prompt (which I can get into via F10), copy the I386 folder from my CD to my harddrive then run the winnt32.exe from there.
Will this solve my situation or are there problems involved with this?
Will it then be like a new install rather than a reinstating what is there?
I don't have my orginal Indentification Key written down, so I don't want a new install - plus I want to maintain the data on my system.
0 Replies