How popular is Soccer in USA ?

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 01:20 pm
I got off the plane in Shannon once, and took the shuttle bus to a hotel in Limerick, where a rugby team was staying, who apparently won their match that afternoon. At about one in the morning i went down and complained to management that i was getting no sleep--do they put me in a room at the back at the house, and in the morning, i was one of a line of "guests" who checked out without being charged for the room.

Is it true that a Welsh Rarebit is a virgin from Cardiff?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 01:41 pm
Of the four major American sports: baseball, football, hockey and basketball, only the latter is comparable to world 'football'. Fluent action and only some substitution.
The other three sports have the majority of players sitting down and watching. Hockey players are on the ice 2-3 minutes before sitting down again.
World Football means 45 minutes uninterrrupted play, a pause and another 45 minutes play. Baseball players are incredibly gifted to act in split seconds. Problem is: they stand around a lot and then they sit down. The pitcher and the catcher are the only ones who actually work.
The roughest game is Rugby; the most exciting game is Australian Rules rugby.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 02:35 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Ashers wrote:

On a side note, England's squad has just been announced...Sven in 'risk taking' shocker! He's included a young lad of 16 I believe who hasn't played a single game of top flight football in England. I'm actually really tempted to say fair play to him, with his job over and done with after the summer maybe this has given him more freedom. Theo Walcott, the guy in question, did cost his new club 12 million so someone rates him highly, very highly. Now can Sven actually use the squad properly when it matters?

Theo Walcott was purchased by Arsenal, the team I support.

Their manager (Arsene Wenger) has proven himself to be one of the shrewdest guys around, and is a great spotter of talent.

His present striker, Thierry Henry, is thought to be the best, or equal best, striker in the world, and was spotted by Wenger early on, playing as a winger. Arsene Wenger bought him quite cheaply, really, and immediately placed him into the centre forward role, because of his phenomenal turn of speed and good football "brain".
He is now Arsenal's all time top scorer, who just seems to waltz around defenders and leave them standing.

Theo Walcott, in speed trials, has proven to be FASTER than Henry, which is amazing. He is just as good with his left foot as he is with his right, and his previous manager described him as having the ability to run over puddles without leaving any ripples.

Sven went to the training ground at London Colney a couple of times, and is mightily impressed. The only reason Theo hasn't played in any major games so far, is that it is Wenger's tactic to bring on youngsters very gradually.
Wenger and Sven were overheard discussing him, where a comment was made that, apart from Rooney, Walcott was reckoned to be the most threatenig forward that is around at the moment.
The Arsenal defenders say that he is as hard to handle as Henry, worse in fact, as he can fly at you from both the left and the right.

I reckon that, given the chance, he could be a major surprise in the World Cup, and could end up doing an Owen or Rooney.

Very encouraging, although I should say, I certainly didn't mention Walcott to have a go at Sven, I feel like giving the guy a pat on the back for choosing him. I've heard a lot about him, all things good, very good, and if Wenger (who I agree is the best in the business scout wise and I'm a Benitez worshipper...) picked him out and was prepared to pay 12m (even if it was just 3-4m immediate payment) then I stand up and take notice. I hope it pays off anyway but Sven was going to get a bollocking no matter what I guess. As far as strikers go I actually think Sven is working with the assumption that Rooney will play no part in the WC and Defoe will be called up in a couple of weeks time for the final deadline which would add something to the forward line given Rooney's physical state. I'm excited by the inclusion of Walcott and Lennon, for once though, I hope we can meet someone like Brazil in the semi finals and at least, just this once, go out of the competition with a little fire in the belly instead of on a whimper. Great squad, need to use it properly.

As for Rugby, I'd like to see anyone repel Jonah Lomu at full charge, jesus. My old rugby teacher used to make us just dive in the mud, yup, learnt a lot from that guy. I actually think aggression/violence in sport is an interesting thing, it's not hard to see why rugby ends up in handbags more often than say football (soccer), purely the physicality of it. Why though, does Ice Hockey appear to have so many little spats, it's got to be the ice, too tempting not to charge someone into those screens and I wonder how accurate anyone can really be when throwing a punch on ICE, that and the body armour should render any serious injury unlikely so maybe it's easier to become aggressive under those circumstances....

Something that should be said with regards to football (soccer) is that as a fan, I don't just watch it for that split second moment when the ball crosses the line, I watch it to see everything, from a well drilled defence to off the ball movement from a marauding winger right down to link up play between attackers, not including all the more obvious ones like great saves, tackles, goals & passes etc. This seems to be a hard concept to get across sometimes which can be summed up when a 0-0 is described as a great game etc. I expect the American team to be well drilled and defensively solid but flair and creativity may be a problem and I just don't think the USA team faces top quality opposition often enough. You're in an initial group with Italy and the Czechs, if you get through that I'll be surprised providing Italy don't capitulate.

Good luck in Paris by the way Lord Ellpus Smile
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 02:47 pm
Ashers, I fully agree about appreciating every aspect of a football match. I honestly believe that the recent 0-0 draw between Arsenal and Real Madrid was one of the most exciting games I have seen in a long time.

Thanks for your good luck wishes re. Paris. You are obviously a Liverpool supporter (am I right?) and you will be pleased to know that I was screaming your lot on last year in the Final.

I hope we can now repeat your success.

Getting back to the USA and the World Cup. I think that Italy and the Czechs will trounce them, and they won't go through to the next round.

However, the USA is a future giant in football, and I reckon they will win it or come very close, in either 2114 or 2118.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 03:23 pm
Yeah I am, I hope you can do it too. The final, once we were out of it, was kind of the one I was hoping for, a lot of respect for both sides to be honest, best football in europe on the day I guess. Our final last year, wow, what an advertisement for the game, that 2nd half was about pure grit, determination & passion, rare commodities these days maybe. I think you can beat Barcelona but you'll need to be good, you'll need to attack like never before to put them on the back foot. The passing will have to be electric. As a football fan I'm disappointed that Lionel Messi will miss the final but I suspect you aren't? Laughing

The USA could and perhaps should expect to become one of the better sides in the world long term but in all honesty, how can any country compete with Brazil on footballing ability year in, year out. To appreciate football, their place in the current standings and where the benchmark is, they should probably hope to play them in the competition even if it means going out...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:32 pm
USA loses to Brazil in the WCF. Hey, I'm a gambler.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:33 am
The US has a population of almost 300 million and soccer is played in schools and colleges. It stands to reason that eventually they will field a good team.
Soccer will never become a top pro sport in the US. It needs television to be popular. Since there are no time-outs in soccer, US TV cannot handle a sport with continuous action.
http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:47 am
My girls. The younger one at left has the most competitive soccer experience, I figure she could easily play at the collegiate level. The older one at right recently had a hat trick in a JV game.

Gotta love 'em.

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RwAAAK0WqkqHDa6HdX*SvTHYhcdCp6L!85ee!D2jn!TU4D1s6ehcUdvfiNJu6Sj8Qz4ZL9zYbEn0b2R9sD2gZVTvUpMnKdvYp3gHhOt6BjY/mygirls.jpg
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 01:55 am
My husband (American) SMSed me recently from England saying:
I was so bored, I watched soccer on TV.

He must have been VERY bored.

I just wish you'd stop calling it Soccer!
It's called Football!!!
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:20 am
The NFL sport called 'Football' always puzzles me. Very seldom during a game does the foot touch the ball. A true misnomer.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 12:07 pm
Quote:
Question:

Why do Americans call soccer (a sport played with foot) "soccer" while calling football (a sport played with the hands) "football"?

Answer:

Simply enough, all of these games are called "football", or were to begin with. Over the course of time, different rule specifications effectively made them different sports. So, different types of football became soccer (association football rules), rugby (rugby football rules) etc.

The American game was more or less derived from rugby, and there are small similarities with the variety of rugby known as Rugby League, most notably the concept of a certain number of completed tackles (downs) to advance the ball, after which possession is turned over if no score results. The kicking element was originally much more common in the American game, with the concept of kicked goals from open play similar to dropped goals in rugby. The development of the forward pass pushed the kicking game to one side, as a thrown ball can be controlled much more accurately than a kicked one, and possession more safely retained.

As for the name, in common with most varieties, it's just known as football to its own players, and American football to those who wish to distinguish it from other forms. In Ireland, the word football is generally used to refer to Gaelic football, an indigenous game with similarities to both soccer and rugby (round ball, but handling allowed). Similarly, Australian football (known sometimes as Australian Rules football) is simply referred to as football or footy in Australia. In England, football refers to soccer, unless otherwise specified.

LINK

Quote:
History of Football:

Football is one of the most famous sports in America. It is played everywhere across the states. Whether it is on the field or in your own backyard, it has become the center of many people's lives. Most people known the objective of the game it is played with a ball. You score be carrying or kicking the ball across the goal line of the other team. Teams must get the ball downfield 10 yards in 4 attempts called downs.

Football can be traced back to ancient Greece where it was known as harpaston. The modern version was started in England in the 12th century. At the time the kings banned it so that it wouldn't take the place of the sport of archery. In the 1800's two types of football were developed. The first allowed players to only kick the ball. But it was changed when a player took the ball under his arm and ran down the field. Several clubs sprang up, each favoring a different game. The clubs devoted to the kicking game met in London in 1863 and formed the London Football Association. This game was called association football, later called soccer. The clubs that favored the kicking version met in 1871 and organized the Rugby Football Union. Later, the game was called rugby football.

In America, football started in Virginal in 1609. Later in 1820, students at present-day Princeton University started participating in a soccer-like game called balloon. It started a competition between several other schools. Other colleges didn't take place in this competition, playing a more Rugby-like game. In the following years representatives from several of the participating schools decided on a new set of rules and begun the Intercollegiate Football Association. The rules were constantly changing after that. The first intercollegiate game was played between Princeton and Rutgers College in 1895. After the Intercollegiate Football Association was dissolved in 1894, two different groups emerged, formed by Walter Champ, and the other formed by a group of independent colleges. They merged and were called the National Colligate Athletic Association governed American collegiate Football ever since. Champ has become famous more making several important changes to the game in the late 1800's. For example, he reduced the number of players from 15 to 11. Also, he developed the standard formations and tackling rules that we have today. While Champ's rules were intended to make the game safer to play, President Roosevelt in 1905 prompted a new set of rules after a series of severe injuries and death.

The pro football league was formed in 1920. It was called the American Professional Football Association, until the National Football League, the NFL, replaced it. Until the 1950's college football was more popular. With the rise of television in the 50's pro football became more popular. One of the most famous pro football games was played in 1958. Later on the sport became more and more famous. When the first Super Bowl game was played in 1967, it matched champions from the NFL and the newer American Football League. It has become one of the most popular single-day sporting events.

College Bowl games are played on New Year's Eve. The different bowls are the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl, and the Fiesta Bowl. Coaches choose the winners. The High School League rules and seasons vary from state to state. Another small league of Football is the Pop Warner League. They are the Little League version of football.

LINK
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 05:23 pm
Australian Rules rugby is incredible. No wonder it is popular down under.
I am biased because I find Canadian football much more exciting than the NFL.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 12:40 pm
Anything is possible.
First-ever win over Brazilians for Canada
In the category of great sports upsets, it would have to rank rather highly.
Canada beating Brazil at soccer is virtually unthinkable. Make that was unthinkable.
It was a shocker and stunner rolled into one as Canada's under-20 men's team ended a 10-game winless skid in the most improbable way - by beating Brazil.
"No one can ever take that off us," said birthday boy David Edgar who scored Canada's first goal in the 2-1 decision. It was the first time in a year that most of Edgar's family had seen him play live.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2006/05/20/1589805-sun.html
0 Replies