SEO Mod Creating Duplicate Pages?

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 02:14 pm
Hello Able2Know-

I cannot find many other posts regarding my question, so here goes.

I installed the A2K SEO Static Pages Mod on my phpBB forum a few months ago.

The problem is this: Google now only caches my dynamically generated pages, and they are all listed as "supplemental results". Yahoo, on the other hand, caches only the my static .html pages, and this is where the majority of my traffic is coming from. Neither search engine caches more than 10 percent of all of my pages.

My objective is to get all of my forum posts re-indexed at Google. I am wondering how the problem can be solved.

Are my duplicate pages the cause of the incomplete caching of pages at Google?

Will I have to remove the mod-rewrite feature in order to avoid creating duplicate pages?

Would it be possible to use robots.txt in order to block the dynamically generated pages from being indexed by Google?

I would value some feedback on this-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,897 • Replies: 2
No top replies

t-bo

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 11:21 am
Im having the same problems, and am wondering the same things.. I just makde a post about it and then saw this one. Do tell if you've found anything out yet!
0 Replies

BillEvans

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:05 am
Same here...at one point I had sitemaps on and this mod and had real issues. Over 100,000 pages indexed in google. Shocked I have maybe 20k pages in reality.

A few months ago I turned off the sitemap and made sure the robots was ONLY seeing the html pages and I got it down to about 5k.

Still, just about all the pages in google are supplemental.

Yahoo traffic has been excellent since this was installed, but google traffic has been horrible.

I do no think google likes this mod at all. Perhaps it worked for those who installed it early on, but for those that installed it in the past 8 months or so I haven't seen anyone post any positive google results.

This mod is a BUST for me.

The issue is now...turn it off and try something else? I'd HATE to lose that Yahoo traffic. There has to be an answer.
0 Replies