Asteroid IMPACT, a WHAT IF thread

xelasnave

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:12 am
Further..
I am surprised there are no plans for leaving the planet, creatures destined for extinction to date have not been able to consider such but I am sure we can throw it around whilst waiting for all the ordered goods to arrive.
alex
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:35 am
alex. Being on a mountain in Australia does not lessen the danger to you, nor guarantee that you shall even survive the impact. You have to maintain some flexibility in choosing your penultimate station prior to the big smackdown. Since the earths tilt is approximately 1/2 (almost exactly) of a decent miter angle, bolides have been sttracted to hit in the SE Asia and Australia neighborhoods (cf Hoag 2001).

We shall have fairly accurate predictions at about 6 months prior , since, assuming that this one "sneaks" in our detection, we would need to compute its terminal trajectory and that would take a few weeks work at a time closer to impact. (what with govt red tape and all)

If you have any skills, that would be a good thing, hermits with computers could be an interesting twist on reality. Sort of like an Amish CAD operator.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:40 am
alex, BTW welcome to the board. A personal note, you appeared very close to utter the word "Angst", such words are resrved for the religion and art threads.
I thanks you
0 Replies

Darth Dean

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:18 am
Try reading "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Might give some insight.
0 Replies

xelasnave

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:31 am
Thank you for the welcome farmerman.
I would prefer that the Ocean rises gently to turn my mountain into an island Cool . however your planing makes me realise the need to strike some alliances before the event.. when it happens everyone will want in Very Happy . My real sckill is Real Estate add copy writing so I hope that will be needed in the new tomorrow... maybe I should polish the vacant land standard adds as I can see a future need. If I dont survive I will leave the adds on my desk, stuff like that needs to be saved.

alex
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 01:03 am
From BBC News:

When the waters receded before the giant waves hit Java's coast, witnesses reported people running on to the exposed seabed to look - a reaction that cost many lives in the 2004 tsunami.

I guess I have to repeat these scenes in my story, for somehow I do not believe people will get smart any time soon:

"Human beings, almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
-Douglas Adams
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:09 am
And today we are informed that according to THE END by (Yisrayl Hawkins of the House of Yahweh) the world will end on 12 September 2006. It made me wonder how come that most predictions for cataclismic events (that I know of) are/were scheduled in the fall.
I once read a booklet in which a diligent occult researcher had compounded "evidence" from the Bible and a truckload of other religious or mystical scriptures (such as the book of the dead, the Vedas, Egyptian inscriptions, Nostradamus and the writings of that eminent scientist Erich von Däniken) to arrive at the rock solid conclusion that the world would end from September 1983 thru November 1983 (starting with the then current idea of a Soviet attack). The story fit wonderfully well together and the icing on the cake was that he proved that the Dutch were indeed the lost 13th tribe of Israel and would therefore be conveniently saved by Jesus returning with a fleet of UFOs. Shocked (I guess that would give me a fifty:fifty chance of salvation):wink:
The most amusing about it was that I found that engrossing booklet in a rummage sale in 1984 Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:25 am
2006 (or 2012) is also when the Mayan Calender ends (which is oddly accurate)
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:12 am
Amigo wrote:
2006 (or 2012) is also when the Mayan Calender ends (which is oddly accurate)

The pocket calendar in my diary ends on December 31st 2007, but that does not imply that the world ends then only that the calendar ends.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:47 am
I don't beleive the world is going to end in 2006 because of stuff like that. Give me some credit. I am a resonable person (even though my survival plan reads like a child backyard fantasy). I just find interesting and fun.
0 Replies