Windows XP behaving like a slug

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 03:58 pm
My computer, with recently installed XP, has become slower than a slug lately. PC World, current issue, suggests that this may be due to Service Pack 1, which I downloaded on April 28. The time frame would seem to be right. They suggest two possible solutions: - uninstall the Service Pack, or contact MS (by phone yet, not Internet!) for a patch to bring the computer up to speed again.

My questions are (1) how can I unstall the Service Pack and (2) has anyone tried this patch? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 15
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:06 pm
Hmm, I have no advice for you, but a lot of sympathy, our XP sucks too...we both need help here....just thinking, maybe posting this in the computers and internet forum will get more responses.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:28 pm
It is probably caused by "patch 811493."

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,4248,1039464,00.asp
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 06:49 pm
Windows XP slower than a slug
Well, cavfancier, I do like XP. I was stuck with ME, and this is incredibly better. I guess I'll have to call Microsoft and see when Service Pack 2 is due out (or is it already?), as satt_focusable's link referred to. Failing that, I still have to know how to uninstall the silly thing.

Ah ha! I'll try System Restore and go back to April 27, and see what happens! I'll let you all know.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 07:36 pm
This is where you can get windows updates and patches: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

You can uninstall from Control panel > Add Remove Programs

some patches can't be unintaslled and in that case you should use your ' system restore" function.

Let me know if you can uninstall the last patch, if not I'll walk you through a system restore
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 07:05 am
Windows behaving like a slug
Thanks, Craven. I know from the link given above that it can be uninstalled. I should have thought of Add/Remove, but there it is - I didn't. But System Restore should help if I run into trouble with the uninstall.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:29 pm
Well, it turns out that I have SP2 which is supposed to have fixed the problem. Removing SP2 - should that be the way to go - is tedious to the max, I must say, since each of the patches must be removed separately and after most of them the computer must be restarted. Sad However, what will be will be, but I think I'll try System Restore (after making sure that everything I want to save is transferred to my 2d hd).

BTW, when I remove the patches I get a message that the removal may affect the running of certain programs - most notably the Intel camera and Epson scanner. Sounds odd, but no doubt about it, computers *are* odd.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:50 pm
Windows XP is behaving like a slug
Thank you satt. I think your suggestion of 811493 may have solved the problem. Things seem to go more briskly now. If that's just some sort of weird coincidence, then I'll try System Restore, but it looks as though I won't have to.

And thanks, Craven for your offer to walk me through Sys Restore.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:14 pm
You may have already read the following linked page.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp

"Microsoft will update this bulletin and will also resend the Security Notification Service e-mail for this bulletin to advise on the availability of the corrected patch. Information on how to subscribe to the Security Notification Service is available at:" http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 08:00 pm
I'm experiencing the same sluggishness. Didn't link it to one of the recent patches I installed. Thanks. I've been cleaning out old files and running defrag in a futile attempt to solve the problem.

My once really super fast PC now reacts like an old 486.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 10:32 am
I checked out 811493 in Windows Update and not installing it sounds a bit scary, unless (and this I couldn't make out) the danger relates only to networks. But the information stated that a new service pack (SP2)will be available soon. I think this is an old notice, because I had already installed SP2 on April 28. However, SP2 includes 811493 which is the culprit, and acknowledged by Microsoft as such. It all seems kind of circular. Confused Confused

So now what to do!?
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 12:28 pm
I uninstalled too. As far as what to do now, the consensus seems to be to wait for Microsoft to improve on this patch, and there is no immediate danger without the patch.
Langa list is a good resource for info: www.langa.com
Here's the article on the patch as well as some other links: http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-04-24.htm#2
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 12:50 pm
Windows XP is behaving like a slug
I hope this doesn't appear as a duplicate, but somehow I cleverly managed to delete/lose my latest response.

Anyway, it is a thankyou to Satt for calming my fears. Now I'll stop worrying about Microsoft's tendency to layer patches on the patches of patches. (Sounds like an accurate description of our local roads after the recent grisly winter.)

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 12:51 pm
Windows XXP behaving like a slug.
Sorry, I meant to thank Flatted! Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 09:20 am
Here's the latest information on 811493, as gathered from Dan Gookin's Weekly Wambooli Salad newsletter of May 7:

== WINDOWS SECURITY PATCH Q811493

I don't recommend that you update Windows, but many people do (even
when the update doesn't seem to fix any particular problem -- but
that's another story!).

If you're using Windows XP, SP1, and have updated with the Windows
Security Path Q811493 - AND - you notice that your system is running
slower, Microsoft is urging you to remove the patch. Here is the
official Microsoft page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634

This page is also quite informative about what's going on:

http://www.updatexp.com/q811493.html

I haven't had a chance to look at these directly, but if Gookin sends his readers there, then they will find helpful info.
0 Replies

crashoveride

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 03:34 pm
i downloaded service pack 2 it is real good popup blocker inergrated firewall i havent had a crash yet and is only the beta verison it real good
0 Replies