Newsweek or Economist, some advice?

J-B

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 05:55 am
Hi all:
My Newsweek (Asian edition) subscription is due to expire in August this year. That was what the international editor Fareed Zakaria urged me in "his" letter. :wink:
Fareed is one of the few magazine writers that I admire. His articles on Middle East, on Islam, on Sino-US relations and a lot of issues have set up an image for me of what a really good political thinker should be like. And Newsweek is good. I can't be bad?
But meanwhile I have longed to renew my subscription with Economist, which I had the chance to read for several times. It's also a great one with abundant contents as a contrast to Newsweek and Time's one-picture-cover-2-whole-A4-page style, which I loathe. But the question remains: I still don't know much about Economist, a basic question is: Whom do it's articles come from?
There is no cost issue for two things I am sure: These two magazines are basically at the same price; And I can't afford 2 at the same time.
So my fellow A2K experts, provide me with some juicy advice!

Thank you
JB Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,714 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Clary

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 01:11 am
It seems that the journalists on the Economist are shy of bylines, but having met one I can say they are very well qualified and bright people, most I think are women... from all over. Based in London. No obvious political agenda except free market economy. Favourite reading of UN officials and the like. Book reviews and science pages also excellent. Go for it, JB!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 03:31 pm
Newsweek or Economist, some advice?
The Economist by a mile. Much more grownup than Newsweek, better writing, more objective. You get a much better perspective on the U.S. Not necessarily flattering, certainly not the usual provincial views, but if you want to know what other countries think of us read The Economist.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:17 am
FWIW, Id go for The Economist anytime. More in-depth, more info. More international in focus (less Brit-centric than Newsweek is Amero-centric).
0 Replies