is skateboarding poisoning our youth?

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 01:37 pm
i am doing a debate for my colleagues and I. and the debate is entitled is skateboarding poisoning our youth. if anybody has any personal opinions about this, please answer soon.

i appreciate it Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,460 • Replies: 29
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 01:54 pm
I skateboarded when in highschool while most of my peers were off getting high or drunk. I did my share of drinking too... but for the most part would prefer a cool fall night of skating over drinking. Of course, like jocks, stoners, preps and any other highschool cliche you can think of, there are good ones and bad ones. Drinking is certainly not confined to anyone of those groups nor absent from any of them.

Skating is great exercise, promotes focus, concentration, imagination and balance... and for the most part is undestructive. I think those that think skating in poisoning our youth are seriously uninformed.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:07 pm
I'm with jp. Really, what is so bad about skateboarding? It is not the sport that is poisoning our youth, it is the dark side of youth that are poisoning themselves.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:07 pm
It's a legitimate sport now. Maybe fifteen years ago one would say that but today, saying that skateboarding is poisoning youth is like saying that football or golf is poisoning our youth.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 04:02 pm
It all depends on what kind of skateboards they eat.

<sorry>
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 04:33 pm
George wrote:
It all depends on what kind of skateboards they eat.

It is my understanding that if they are kept in a cool dry place they can last for quite some time and pose no danger. They do taste kind of woody but have a high fiber content.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 04:33 pm
I don't se how. I think it gives kids a much needed outdoor activity, it promotes competition and gives kids a chance to socialize with their peers.

There is a whole 'stoner' myth that tends to follow them around, but it is a small few who (like always) ruin it for all.

I think it is great thing. Granted there are some complaints of skaters using private parking lots and stairwells and such, but I believe that could be helped by creating some public skate friendly places.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:36 pm
Aldistar-

Quote:
think it is great thing. Granted there are some complaints of skaters using private parking lots and stairwells and such, but I believe that could be helped by creating some public skate friendly places.

Unfortunately some (not all) skateboarders not only invade public and private property, but destroy public and private property. I can respect kids who lobby and do fundraising for Skateboard Parks, but I have no sympathy with vandals.

Even worse than the vandalism is the view of a few that because there are no places dedicated to skateboarding in their neighborhoods that they are entitled to destroy the property of others.

Further, in this age of Obesity, you have to control the condiments that the kids spread on their combustible skateboards. Too much fat can be deadly, a slow poison.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:11 pm
Football and golf are poisioning our youth.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:43 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

Unfortunately some (not all) skateboarders not only invade public and private property, but destroy public and private property. I can respect kids who lobby and do fundraising for Skateboard Parks, but I have no sympathy with vandals..

I agree, I have no sympathy for the vandals either. It is just too bad that the few bad apples cause the whole group to be labeled (and that goes for any group of people).

Noddy24 wrote:
Even worse than the vandalism is the view of a few that because there are no places dedicated to skateboarding in their neighborhoods that they are entitled to destroy the property of others..

Yes in agreement again. That attitude in some people is one of the few things that will set me right off.

Noddy24 wrote:
Further, in this age of Obesity, you have to control the condiments that the kids spread on their combustible skateboards. Too much fat can be deadly, a slow poison.

But the bits of asphalt stuck in the wheels makes such a good source of ruffage.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 10:30 pm
Skateboarding is no more harmful than rock and roll was back in the "early days". It is the bad behavior of those so associated with the sport or activity that allows "outsiders", or non participants, to tar the whole group (unjustly) with a broad brush. Besides, everyone knows that it is snowboarding that will be the ultimate downfall of our youth.

JM
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 10:35 pm
I've got some photos from my uni days of 30 years ago, with friends of mine skateboarding.

For the most part, the people skateboarding in those pix have done extraordinarily well and have been able to take early retirement.

Hard to think of anything bad about it - other than the noise.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 06:27 am
James Laughing
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 07:18 am
Skateboarding ain't poisoning da yout. At least it involves moving; at the very least.
But the sport is already losing its original appeal and interest - so I'd say it's the brain-dead no-risks not-trying-anything-that-ain't-conformist attitude that is the poison.

But that's part of humanity anyhow. We're screwed! :wink:
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:41 am
Skateboarding isn't poisoning our particular brand of youth. The type that could be considered "poisoned" were that way regardless of whether they skated or not.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:12 pm
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skateboarding isn't poisoning our particular brand of youth. The type that could be considered "poisoned" were that way regardless of whether they skated or not.

Hell on wheels don't need no skateboard--and never has.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:23 pm
Our grandfathers never had these evil skateboards to steer them wrong in their youth. They had wholesome oldtime things to pass the time...like boxing !! Shocked
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:31 pm
I used to skateboard. Now I steal kittens, skin them, and make blankets.

You do the math.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 10:18 pm
I get it.

When you were younger, you skated to keep warm, but now you need the blankets.

Makes sense.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 10:24 pm
Yes, it does. And you know what else makes sense? Our President's no-nonsense plan to lead us to victory in Iraq.

You see, President Bush has a clear strategy structured on three tracks -- political, economic and security. By following this course, our President will soon succeed in securing a peaceful and democratic future for the eternally grateful Iraqi people!
0 Replies