Urgent, clarify this task to me please

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:16 pm
Hello Everyone

I am going to staudy Master degree in one of London's universities. The course is MA in Public Communications and Public Relations

And I got acceptance few days ago and they asked me to write about this task:

In about 300 words analyse the communication challenges facing an organisation that you know of and summarise how you would improve its communications.

my question is:

What do they mean by communication challenges facing this organnization

Is it "improving performance through communication"?

or
"enhancing communication within & outside the organization"?

Thank you very much and I have to write this essay and send it back to them befor 8th of May.

Yours Faithfully,
SM
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,147 • Replies: 17
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:22 pm
Before the 8th? Good luck.
It sounds like they want you to write about whatever you feel they are challenged at. Be it performance or internal and external communications.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:23 pm
I read it to mean what communication methods are currently in use. What challenges do they face in communicating effectively and what could be done to improve communication.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:46 pm
Stolen Moments--

Welcome to A2K.

Quote:
In about 300 words analyse the communication challenges facing an organisation that you know of and summarise how you would improve its communications.

First, select an organization you are familiar with: A school, a business, a club--any sort of group.

Decide what sort of communications problems exist among the members of this group? Do the people in charge listen to the people under them? Are rules and requirements clear? Are complaints taken care of?

Then summarize briefly how you would deal with solving these problems.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:49 pm
My boss communicates in Klingon. Does that help?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:51 pm
Given that the course is in Public Communications and Public Relations, I would write about the communication between an organization and the public... either customers, potential customers or the public at large.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 01:03 pm
Quote:

Simple, pick an organization and nit-pick it till you can find ways of improving it....

How do they communicate? Are they up to date with the use of the internet, or they still existing on paper only? Do they have a comprehensible database of information/ resources available? Etc...

I just had to do the same thing myself, I had to use the FBI's website, pick a press release and rewrite it with more substantial information. Some of those press releases are vague...
0 Replies

Stolen Moments

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:03 pm
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
Before the 8th? Good luck.
It sounds like they want you to write about whatever you feel they are challenged at. Be it performance or internal and external communications.

Thank you for passing by and for your comment
0 Replies

Stolen Moments

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:04 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
I read it to mean what communication methods are currently in use. What challenges do they face in communicating effectively and what could be done to improve communication.

Thank you jpinMilwaukee for your comment
0 Replies

Stolen Moments

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:10 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Stolen Moments--

Welcome to A2K.

Quote:

First, select an organization you are familiar with: A school, a business, a club--any sort of group.

Decide what sort of communications problems exist among the members of this group? Do the people in charge listen to the people under them? Are rules and requirements clear? Are complaints taken care of?

Then summarize briefly how you would deal with solving these problems.

Thank you Noddy for welcoming me and thank you so much for your fast and valuable addition. Now I have the whole idea and and I wrote the essay few hours ago. It has about 411 words and I'll try to reduce the introduction in order to make the whole essay 300. So, please if you have any comment about it let me know.
0 Replies

Stolen Moments

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:11 pm
cjhsa wrote:
My boss communicates in Klingon. Does that help?

Thank you cjhsa : )
0 Replies

Stolen Moments

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:13 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Given that the course is in Public Communications and Public Relations, I would write about the communication between an organization and the public... either customers, potential customers or the public at large.

Thank you ebrown for the clarification. You comment made it much more clear to me
0 Replies

Stolen Moments

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:17 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:
Quote:

Simple, pick an organization and nit-pick it till you can find ways of improving it....

How do they communicate? Are they up to date with the use of the internet, or they still existing on paper only? Do they have a comprehensible database of information/ resources available? Etc...

I just had to do the same thing myself, I had to use the FBI's website, pick a press release and rewrite it with more substantial information. Some of those press releases are vague...

Hi makemeshiver33. Thank you a million, your comment also is very valuable and to the point. Let me please see your comment and your suggestions about the my first draft.
0 Replies

Stolen Moments

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:21 pm
This is my first draft, check it out please and see if the ideas are related in a right way. I will be waiting for suggestions.

Through out this millennium operating businesses is becoming harder than any other time. The rapid advances in technology makes it very critical for companies to ensure their competitive edge. It is no longer the bigger the better, for these matters are becoming less important. The lead businesses are the ones who think of how to communicate externally and internally in an effective and efficient way. That is to ensure its leading position, and conquer the biggest market share in comparison to other businesses in the field. And that is exactly what my company is facing in the time being, which is the challenge of advancing its business communication internally and externally. As I analyze its situation, I think that my company will reach its goal of enhancing its internal and external communication, through the effectiveness of operational process and advertising, respectively.

On an internal level, my company should enhance its communication efficiency through the effectiveness of operational processes. As a start it should use a technological oriented method that will ease the recording of activities of different units, which in return will facilitate the communication among them in an effective way. Eliminating the chances of over lapping of records and misplacement of information among different units. Also, it can introduce a system that will ease the access of different units into a common database, which holds information critical to all units. Bridging the communication among different units strengthens the company's internal communication as a whole, and leads to better results.

On an external level, my company should advance its communication effectiveness through advertising. That is, to use the power of public media in strengthening the loyalty of customers to the company. Furthermore, to aim at publicizing the company's products and services with the goal of ensuring a bigger market share. Not only that, but through well-planned advertising the company will build up a stronger base for its marketing activities. In which it will maximize its ability in building a strong brand name, which will capitalize on their brand equity.

All these are some of the suggestions I will offer to my company when it comes to the fact of facing the challenges of improving the efficiency of its communication internally and externally. Offering solutions in the area of effectiveness of operational processes and in advertising. Which I think will benefit my company in dealing with these critical challenges and help it to earn its righteous place among the top best businesses in the field.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 02:23 pm
Stolen Moments--

I'm lost.

Start off by explaining what your company is and who you are.

Example: I'm the _________ director of _____________. We manufacture widgets for the wholesale market.

State the problem:

Unfortunately our inter-department communication is.....

or

Unfortunately, our sales department, doesn't.....

You aren't supposed to be making a speech--you're supposed to be identifying a problem, stating that problem and solving that problem.
0 Replies

Stolen Moments

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 06:14 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Stolen Moments--

I'm lost.

Start off by explaining what your company is and who you are.

Example: I'm the _________ director of _____________. We manufacture widgets for the wholesale market.

State the problem:

Unfortunately our inter-department communication is.....

or

Unfortunately, our sales department, doesn't.....

You aren't supposed to be making a speech--you're supposed to be identifying a problem, stating that problem and solving that problem.

I'll put these tips in my mind when I rewrite this task again. Thank you Noddy24 for your assistance in completing my essay.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 06:32 pm
Stolen Moments--

Glad to help.
0 Replies

ishea

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:01 am
@Stolen Moments,
hi, u applied for ma in pr in westminster? did u get the offer at last? i got the same assignment this month. can u give me some tips? .hoping to receive to answer as soon as possible! many thanks!
P.s. can i have u email address?
0 Replies