A great new poll, Full metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now?

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:27 am
Two great films, both about the vietnam war, but which one has the edge over the other? My vote goes to Apocalypse Now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,056 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:01 pm
Full Metal Jacket. No question about it for me, it was a great movie. I have watched it several times, first in the movie house and then on VHS tape and a few televised runs as well. Full Metal Jacket made me laugh and cry all within a short time span. Apocalypse Now just made me cry...mostly from lugubriousness.

With Full Metal Jacket there was the wonderful early acting of Vincent D'Onofrio and his superb interaction with R. Lee Ermey. I think I'll have to check for it on DVD...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 09:13 am
Not a big fan of "Apocalypse Sometime In The Next Year Or So," its final scenes finally trying to get down to Joseph Conrad's philosophical undertow but very poorly IMHO.

The only problem with Kubrick's piece is that the first section of the film is not only the best but it's an anti-climax to the actual climax of the movie. The sets at the end weren't of Kubrick's usual painstaking realism -- they were constructed outside London with potted palms burned with flame throwers.
0 Replies

Maradona

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 12:20 pm
fmj is hilarious in the beginning but sort gets boring towards the end. but still id prefer fmj over Apocalypse now
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 04:08 pm
The First half of FMJ is awesome, the rest of the film is quite dull..at least in comparison to the first half. The second half does contain the wonderful soundbites that we've all heard so many times...."Ooh me so horny/me love you long time."

About the only thing I like about Apocalypse Now, is the very short cameo by Harrison Ford early in the film, and some of the dialog. "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" during the chopper attack, backed by Wagner. And of course the thoughts that flow thru Martin Sheens mind which are heard in the narrative style...and was used again in Platoon with his son Charlie.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:37 pm
Full Metal Jacket is a great movie, Apocalypse Now (Redux) is great cinema.

just to let you know how AN has etched itself into the western Pop Pysche, list the expressions from its script that have become a part of the common venacular.

and I would bet money each of us have used one to all of the following in the course of our lives as verbal hyperbole since 1979.

1. Charlie dont't surf.
2. The horror, the horror.
3, terminate, terminate with exteme prejudice.
4, his methods have become... unsound
5. dont get out of the fukking boat!
6, I love the smell of napalm in the morning, it smells like ...victory.

only the phrases from the scripts of Casablanca and the Godfather come close to embedding themselves in pop culture as do those from AN.

Art echoes, so does AN
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:53 pm
I agree. FMJ, great movie
"A Coppola Slips Now", great cinema

They both have strong parts and weak.
Anybody seen the restored scenes of AN?...it's like part of a different movie!
0 Replies