Uncommon Sense

coberst

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 05:37 am
Uncommon Sense

I think that there is opinion, judgment, knowledge, understanding, and information.

Opinion and information permeate the air we breathe. There is a wealth of knowledge of every variety. Judgment and understanding are at a premium and if judgment and understanding is not constantly pursued by citizens then I do not think citizens are holding up there end of the bargain.

Just as we (Americans) are passing on to future generations a massive debt that we refuse to pay likewise we are passing on to future generations depleted resources and a democratic legacy that has likewise been seriously depleted. The enemy is us; no one else.

Future generations will, I suspect, grade us severely for our lack of seriousness.

I think that if one percent of the population acquired uncommon sense that we could protect our heritage of a liberal democracy. It seems to me that if one in a hundred were to acquire uncommon sense our society would not tolerate so many outrageous policies.

The key to good judgment and understanding is attitude. The attitude of fair-mindedness is the bedrock of good judgment and the effort to develop the habits of good intellectual character (including fair-mindedness) can be a valuable asset for the development of a fair-minded understanding.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 504 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 02:49 pm
I like your term; uncommon sense.

The only problem with it is that those who posess this gift are not capable of the mindless recklessness of those who gather wealth and power for no other reason that wealth and power.

But at the same time I agree with you. That is because I believe that a good world would produce bad people. People undefined and untested with an ignorance that would render them capable of the most horrenduous acts of selfishness.

The tragedy is that we are working to remove all the filth from our world, instead of educating it's citizens to live with it, simply by equipping them with the tools they need to navigate it safely. Namely uncommon sense.
0 Replies