The Nintendo Wii... Let's hope it doesn't come in yellow.

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:04 am
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148462.html

I don't really know what is going on through Nintendo's mind right about now. Certainly, the kiddies in the UK are being immature and taking the piss out of the Wii (no pun intended) like nobody's business.

However, you've got to hand it to them. Renaming their new console with an obscure word that isn't pronounceable until somebody tells you how to pronounce it, is a bold move. It takes balls to do something like this.

It's not like that time Prince turned his name into that bizarre symbol. You can actually pronounce the Wii.

The only problem, of course, is the publicity that surrounds it. There's no denying that this name change has given Nintendo a huge amount of publicity, most of it for free. They just announce it and the name spread like wildfire across several gaming forums and across the Internet like some meme.

In fact, Wii could potentially be one of the most powerful Memes since "All your base are belong to us".

Who here thinks naming it Wii is a good idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,470 • Replies: 14
No top replies

SelmarTaynor

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:01 pm
wait, so the revolution is now called the Wii?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 04:41 am
SelmarTaynor wrote:
wait, so the revolution is now called the Wii?

Yes, yes it has. Well, according to a Nintendo press release before the E3 anyway.

The Internet was abuzz with the talk of the Wii. Nearly every videogaming forum in existence talked about it. The noise created drowned out almost simultaneous announcements from Microsoft and Sony concerning their steep production costs.

The name for the new console has spawned multiple jokes the likes of which haven't been seen since the phrase, "All your base are belong to us", became popular on the Internet.

And as far as I can tell Wii doesn't actually stand for anything.
0 Replies

SelmarTaynor

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 08:58 pm
Does it mean anything?
because thats about the MOST random name you can have. there must be some reason.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 04:52 am
No, not really. Wii doesn't stand for anything. Its double Is are supposed to represent the community coming together, but that's about it.
0 Replies

SelmarTaynor

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:14 am
Wow, the communtiy has a LOT going for it if it's brought together by a game console...
But what's the motive for changing it?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:34 am
SelmarTaynor wrote:
Wow, the communtiy has a LOT going for it if it's brought together by a game console...
But what's the motive for changing it?

Changing what?

The Wii is supposed to be the console that any old idiot can play. There's no insane amount of buttons. Gameplay will not be about memmorising what button does what. It will be about moving a controller around and pressed one or two buttons.

They wanted the name to reflect the fact that the console can be played by everyone and that families could be brought together to play games.

Frankly, I think Kii would have been just as effective without being as stupid.
0 Replies

SelmarTaynor

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 03:52 pm
haha, their tag could be "The Kii for a happier community"
I meant whats the motive for changing the name?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:07 am
SelmarTaynor wrote:
haha, their tag could be "The Kii for a happier community"

Could have been, if they had decided on Kii. But they didn't. They decided on Wii.

Quote:
I meant whats the motive for changing the name?

Revolution was a codename. It was never meant to be the final name.
0 Replies

SelmarTaynor

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:05 am
So why did they release to the public that it would be called the revolution?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:06 am
SelmarTaynor wrote:
So why did they release to the public that it would be called the revolution?

They never said that. It was a codename. Just like the Nintendo 64 used to be called Ultra 64 and Gamecube was codenamed Dolphin.
0 Replies

SelmarTaynor

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 07:53 am
But how come the makers told everyone about the name "revolution" but not the "ultra 64" or the "dolphin"?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 10:31 am
SelmarTaynor wrote:
But how come the makers told everyone about the name "revolution" but not the "ultra 64" or the "dolphin"?

Where were you? Before we knew the real names of the N64 and Dolphin, everybody was calling them that. It was in all the videogame magazines and all the videogaming forums I went to.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 10:52 am
Wii sounds like "we" (as in, inclusive of you and me), which Nintendo has played on to great extent. The two i's are supposed to look like two gamers, or two of the new Nintendo controllers.

I call it the WiiNES (for Wii Nintendo Entertainment System), which is at least more fun to say. The console is only going to be slightly more powerful than an Xbox 1, miles behind the Xbox 360 or the PS3. The Wii will live or die based on the experience using the new controller.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:35 am
Monger wrote:
I call it the WiiNES (for Wii Nintendo Entertainment System), which is at least more fun to say. The console is only going to be slightly more powerful than an Xbox 1, miles behind the Xbox 360 or the PS3. The Wii will live or die based on the experience using the new controller.

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid people will be so shallow they'll go for the consoles with the better graphics. My favourite franches are Nintendo. If that company goes under, I don't know what I'd do.
0 Replies